1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons law

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A 5228 kg flatbed truck has a 226 kg crate resting on the level bed. If the static coefficient of friction is 0.27, what is the maximum acceleration the truck can achieve without the crate slipping off?

2. Relevant equations f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    i believe i need to find the force on each object. it would be 5228 x 9.8 and 226 x 9.8 but i am stuck there, especially with the static coefficient of friction. i do not understand that at all

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The forces you mention are from gravity. Works in a vertical direction. But we can assume there is no vertical acceleration. So there must be more forces at work.
    Acceleration is probably in a different direction (I don't spoil the exercise if I say: horizontal). How do you bring in a force that works in a horizontal direction ?

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    to find the horizontal force would you have to multiply the mass by the coefficient of friction?

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Coëfficiënt of friction is dimensionless: it is the ratio of (the magnitude of) two forces. Which ones ?

6. Dec 20, 2014 #5
    the friction force and applied force?

7. Dec 20, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

Physics isn't a guessing game. What have you learned about this subject ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted