Newton's Laws- 2 Questions-

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving Newton's laws. The first problem involves a person stepping off a boat, one in which the boat is tied to the dock and the other in which it is not. The second problem involves using Newton's third law to explain the first problem. The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of a fan to propel a boat and the concept of action and reaction forces canceling each other out.
IntellectIsStrength
Newton's Laws-- 2 Questions-- Help Please

Hey everyone
I have two questions and any help on them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Problem #1
A person steps onto a dock off a boat that is tied securely and close to the dock. In another case, a person steps off a boat not attached to the dock. Use Newton's laws to explain what happens in each case.

Problem #2 (Attached)

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 688
Physics news on Phys.org
Try useing Newtons third Law with question 1.

PS. There seam to be some problems with you attachment.

What's wrong with the attachment? I see it fine.

The problem with question #1 is that there are so many situations where you can apply Newton's laws that it gets a bit confusing and I'm having difficulty finding a certain focus.

For Problem #2 what I can think of is that what is drawn is an internal force whereas, according to Newton's first law, an unbalanced, external net force is needed inorder for the boat to move. Am I correct?
I need more hints & help. Thanks

For Problem # 1, for the case that the boat is not tied to the dock, the person may end up landing in water since the jumping force of the person on the boat will push the boat backwards; the equal and opposite force of the boat (according the Newton's 3rd law) on the human will propel that person toward the dock, but since the boat moves backwards, the person can fall into the water.

As for Problem # 2, the reason the boat doesn't move is because the fan blows against the sail. The boat does not move forward because there is an equal and opposite force on the fan (Newton's 3rd law).

Any help?

You just answered your own question

usualy when they use the person on the boat analogy, they are just trying to find a virtualy friction proof surface, but the person will most likely not land on the dock, though it is possible, the force needed is tremendous. because say you push with 50N the boat will only push back with merely a fraction of that on you

also for the other one, the fan would be needed to face the other direction, or put it in the water, and use it as a propellor

TsunamiJoe said:
You just answered your own question

usualy when they use the person on the boat analogy, they are just trying to find a virtualy friction proof surface, but the person will most likely not land on the dock, though it is possible, the force needed is tremendous. because say you push with 50N the boat will only push back with merely a fraction of that on you

also for the other one, the fan would be needed to face the other direction, or put it in the water, and use it as a propellor

Thanks for the reply. But I still don't have clear understanding on why the boat doesn't move in the first place (for Problem #2).

And can anyone please think of a third modification? I can't get anything. Any help would be appreciated :confused:

IntellectIsStrength said:
Thanks for the reply. But I still don't have clear understanding on why the boat doesn't move in the first place (for Problem #2).

You're correct that internal forces cancel. In this case, the jet of air blowing against the sail tries to move the boat to the left. But, as someone pointed out, just having a propeller like that is enough to propel the boat, and pointing it to the left will make the boat want to go to the right. I can't quite see the "action-reaction" pair here...it has to do with why propellers shooting air backwards allow a craft to move forward in the first place. My guess is that the propeller pushes left on the air, and so the air pushes right on the propeller, making the boat want to move right. But then the jet of air encounters the sail and pushes left on it, making the boat want to go left. The two forces (air on fan, air on sail) are equal and opposite, and so they cancel. The boat goes nowhere. What you do you guys think of my analysis?

to shorten your point - the fan pushes, say +5 on the sail, whereas, in order to keep the fan on the boat, the boat pushes -5 on the sail - thus [tex]5 + -5 = 0[/tex]

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the force exerted by one object on the other is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second object on the first.

How do Newton's Laws of Motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are applicable to almost every movement and interaction we experience in daily life. For example, the motion of a car, the flight of a plane, and the bouncing of a ball are all governed by these laws. Understanding these laws can help us better understand and predict the behavior of objects in our environment.