Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Newton's Laws Explanation

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need someone to help me fully understand Newton's Laws. I kinda get his second law, the sum of the forces equals mass times acceleration??, but yea.

2. Relevant equations

Newton's First Law
    Newton's Second Law [URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/9/9/199b3ff9558f5b5e1286d77f1b3b1c44.png[/URL]
    Newton's Third Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    Uh.....I checked with my teacher, no result.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well what about the laws is it that you do not understand?

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Like how you can apply them to stuff. I just need someone to recap in simple words, i'm not really good at big fat definitions.

I'm also asking cause my teacher keeps on emphasizing that Newton's laws 1 & 3 are pretty much useless, and only 2 is important.

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The third law is used in principle as an application to rockets in space.

The fuel is burnt and gas is expelled, which exerts an equal and opposite reaction on the rocket causing it to move forward.

I believe the only reason your teacher thinks they are useless is because Newtons 2nd Law can be expressed in a formula.

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    your teacher says that the first and third of Newton's laws of motion are useless?! that is nonsense.

his first law describes inertia, that a body in motion stays in motion unless acted on by another force. thats a pretty important concept. it explains why planets basically orbit each other and TONS of other important things. not quite useless in my book.

and the third law, as mentioned above, can be applied to how rockets in space work.

i think you might be thinking of application in the wrong sense. just because something cant be applied mathematically doesnt mean it cant be applied.

7. Sep 26, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Newton's 1st Law taught me that I should hold onto something when a bus starts moving and when it s going to stop. Else, I'd fall down!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook