Understanding Motion in a Pulley System

In summary, the ring slides on the rod with a speed v and the block descends with a speed v cos(theta). The ring starts moving with a velocity v*cos(theta) when the system is released from rest.
psykatic

Homework Statement

A smooth ring A of mass m can slide on a fixed horizontal rod. A string tied to the ring passes over a fixed pulley B and carries a block C of Mass M (=2m) as shown in the given figure. At a instant at the string between the ring and the pulley makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the rod, (a)Show that, if the ring slides with a speed v, the block descends with speed v cos[tex]\theta[/tex]. (b) With what acceleration will the ring start moving if the system is released from rest with [tex]\theta=~30^\circ[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Newtons Equations, free body diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this question happens to be from a textbook. And its a solved one too.. The solution which they have given is quite complicated! I thought I'd get a brief explanation of "why and how" over it, and yes an alternative method would be highly appreciated!

The solution, is like this (as given in the book),

Suppose in a small time interval [tex]\delta t[/tex] the ring is displaced from A to A' and the block from C to C'. Drop a perpendicular A'P from A' to AB. For small displacements A'B~ PB (I didnt get this!), since the length is constant (?), we have,
AB+BC= A'B+BC'
AP+PB+BC=A'B+BC'
AP=BC'-BC=CC' (as A'B=PB)

AA'[tex]cos\theta[/tex]= CC'

or [tex]\frac{AA'cos\theta}{\delta t}=~\frac{CC'}{\delta t}[/tex]

Therefor, (velocity of the ring)[tex]cos\theta[/tex]= (velocity of the block)Please help :cry:

Attachments

• q.7.bmp
    166.6 KB · Views: 625
  • freebody.bmp
    166.6 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the ring moves with a velocity v horizontally, its component along the string is v*cos(theta). Since the length of string between the ring and block is costant, the velocity of the block is equal to v*cos(theta).

Well, did you have a look at the diagram? It hasnt been approved yet..

Suppose in a small time interval LaTeX Code: \\delta t the ring is displaced from A to A' and the block from C to C'. Drop a perpendicular A'P from A' to AB. For small displacements A'B~ PB (I didnt get this!), since the length is constant (?), we have,

When A and A(dash) are very close, AB and A(dash)B are nearly equal. If you take BA(dash) equal to BP, AP becomes A*A(dash)cos(theta) and A*A(dash)/t = velocity. The length of the string is ABC = A(dash)BC(dash)

okay, that's fine with me, I've several more problems over the free body diagrams! I'll post it in mean time! Thank You!

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that explain how objects move and interact with each other in the physical world. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and serve as the basis for classical mechanics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, objects will maintain their state of motion unless a force is applied to change it.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How do Newton's Laws of Motion impact our daily lives?

Newton's Laws of Motion have a significant impact on our daily lives, from the way we walk and run to the operation of vehicles and machines. These laws explain the mechanics behind many physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and how they interact with each other. Understanding these laws allows us to design and build technologies that make our lives easier and more efficient.