Solve Newtons Laws Problem: Friction and Acceleration

In summary, a 29N force is applied to a 1.1 kg Cheerios box, causing it to accelerate and hit a 3.6 kg Wheaties box. The frictional forces on the Cheerios and Wheaties boxes are 1.6N and 5.5N respectively. To find the force on the Wheaties box from the Cheerios box, the two boxes can be treated as a single object and the acceleration can be calculated using F=ma. Alternatively, the force on the Wheaties box can be found by subtracting the frictional force on the Wheaties box from the total force of 29N applied by the Cheerios box.
DrDanger

Homework Statement

a box of Cheerios (mass mC = 1.1 kg) and a box of Wheaties (mass mw = 3.6 kg) are accelerated across a horizontal surface by a horizontal force applied to the Cheerios box. The magnitude of the frictional force on the Cheerios box is 1.6 N, and the magnitude of the frictional force on the Wheaties box is 5.5 N. If the magnitude of is 29 N, what is the magnitude of the force on the Wheaties box from the Cheerios box?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i set the accelerations equal and solved for F, but it was wrong. Now I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
the magnitude of what is 29N? Have you set up your FBD?

gamer_x_ said:
the magnitude of what is 29N? Have you set up your FBD?

oops sorry. I copy and pasted the question. but basically a 29N force pushes the cheerios box to the right and it hits a Wheaties box that is right next to it, to the right.

and yes I drew an FBD, and got for the cheerios box F to the right and F of friction to the left. same for the wheaties box

you also have the force of the cheerios box on the wheaties box. i.e Fcw = -Fwc. Your actual effect on the Wheaties box will not be the entire force, but will be something smaller. so what will it be?

Your step to assume that the acceleration is equal is correct.

gamer_x_ said:
you also have the force of the cheerios box on the wheaties box. i.e Fcw = -Fwc. Your actual effect on the Wheaties box will not be the entire force, but will be something smaller. so what will it be?

Your step to assume that the acceleration is equal is correct.

would it be 27.4 because you subtract forces?

i haven't done the calculation so I don't know the actual number. but your acceleration for the wheaties box will be just the force on the wheaties box - friction on wheaties box, not the entire 29N - wheaties friction. Since force wheaties = - force wheaties on cheerios, you can set up your cheerios equation to include this same wheaties force and then solve for ma of the system.

Or perhaps you can consider treating them as a single object with 1 friction and 1 force, from which you can get acceleration. If you do use this, what's the next step to get the actual force of cheerios on wheaties?

gamer_x_ said:
Or perhaps you can consider treating them as a single object with 1 friction and 1 force, from which you can get acceleration. If you do use this, what's the next step to get the actual force of cheerios on wheaties?

divide by the masses added?

gamer_x_ said:
i haven't done the calculation so I don't know the actual number. but your acceleration for the wheaties box will be just the force on the wheaties box - friction on wheaties box, not the entire 29N - wheaties friction. Since force wheaties = - force wheaties on cheerios, you can set up your cheerios equation to include this same wheaties force and then solve for ma of the system.

I need to find the force on the wheaties box, not the acceleration.

I had it right the whole time but used the wrong mass..Thanks for the help!

1. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does friction affect an object's acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and can therefore decrease its acceleration. The amount of friction depends on the surface and the weight of the object. If there is no friction, the object will accelerate at a constant rate.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration according to Newton's second law?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

4. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction in a Newton's laws problem?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. To calculate it in a Newton's laws problem, you divide the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object. The formula is μ = Ff/Fn, where μ is the coefficient of friction, Ff is the force of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

5. How can you use Newton's laws to solve problems involving friction and acceleration?

To solve problems involving friction and acceleration, you can use Newton's second law to calculate the net force acting on an object, taking into account the forces of friction. You can also use the coefficient of friction to determine the amount of friction present and how it affects the acceleration of the object. Additionally, you can use Newton's third law to analyze the equal and opposite forces between two objects in contact, such as an object and a surface experiencing friction.