Calculate Coefficient of Friction for 41N Bookcase on Ground

In summary: SUB]applied force is the acceleration of the bookcase caused by the applied force, \mug is the coefficient of friction, and â is the acceleration due to gravity.In summary, the problem is to find the coefficient of friction between a bookcase with a weight of 41N and the ground, given that the bookcase is accelerating at a rate of 0.25m/s2. The equation for frictional force is F=μ*force normal, and the only given information is the weight of the bookcase and its acceleration. It is not specified if the bookcase is sliding down a slope or on a
Omnomnomnom

Homework Statement

what is the coefficient of friction between a 41N bookcase and the groud, when the bookcase accelerates at .25m/s2?

Homework Equations

F=ma Forcefriction=μ*force normal

The Attempt at a Solution

a=.25 m=41 μ=? I have absolutly no idea what i am doing

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement appears to be incomplete. Is the bookcase sliding down a slope? Were you given a coefficient of friction?

I have to find the coefficient of friction between the bookcase and the ground, this is all that I was given, there is no angle. I am assuming that this is a flat surface.

Are you told the force that's being applied to move the bookcase horizontally? Because I really can't think of any method to find the coefficient of friction between two surfaces just with the normal force (weight in Newtons, for a flat surface with no external vertical forces acting) and relative acceleration between the surfaces.

the problem up above is all that I have, oh well my teacher has given us impossible problems before maybe this is another >.<

That strikes me as rather odd. I mean you could attempt to find a general solution for [itex]\mu[/itex] in terms of the data you have. Since you have a gravitational force (which equals the normal force) and can use it to derive the mass of the bookcase, that allows you to calculate that the net force on the object is m * anet = m * (aapplied force - [itex]\mu[/itex]g * â)

1. What is the formula for calculating coefficient of friction?

The formula for calculating coefficient of friction is: coefficient of friction = force of friction / normal force.

2. How do I determine the force of friction?

The force of friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force.

3. What is the normal force in this calculation?

The normal force is the force exerted by the ground on the bookcase in a direction perpendicular to the surface. In this case, it is the weight of the bookcase, which is 41N.

4. What is a typical range for the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction). However, in real-world scenarios, it can vary depending on factors such as surface type, texture, and lubrication.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the weight or mass of the objects in contact and the force applied. It is important to note that the coefficient of friction is not a constant value and can vary in different situations.