1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons' Laws Problem

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

E9ks9.png

2. Relevant equations

Newtons' Laws
    Kinematics Equations

3. The attempt at a solution

bnKxy.png

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not getting the correct answer of 17cm ... :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A will not stop. It comes to rest on the surface of B, that is they move together with the same velocity.

ehild

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Does that imply that the time is wrong? Do I set up 2 equations, one for block A and block B and determine when their speeds will be the same?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the time is wrong. The force of friction decelerates A and accelerate B till their velocity becomes equal.

ehild

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    so...

3.5 - 5.88T = 4.704T
    T = 0.331

d = (1/2)(4.704)(0.331)^2 = 0.257m --> still the wrong answer :(

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You use wrong value for the acceleration of B. It should be the force of friction divided by 1 kg.

ehild

8. Oct 17, 2012 #7
    23.52N (the reaction force from the friction of block A) = ma

Now I assumed that it was the total mass of the system, since block A is on top of it and its moving with it. Was that assumption wrong?

23.52N = (m1 + m2)a
    a = 23.52 / (m1+m2) = 23.52 / (4 +1 ) = 4.704m/s^2

9. Oct 17, 2012 #8
    Oh, okay I get the right answer now. But how come you don't use the total mass when finding the acceleration for B? It's directly on top of it ...

10. Oct 17, 2012 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is wrong. Zero external force acts on the whole system. The blocks interact, the force of friction is an internal force. A acts B and B acts A through the friction. So block B moves according to the force exerted on it by block A: F= 23.52 N.

ehild

11. Oct 17, 2012 #10
    OH ! okay, makes sense. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook