Need extra practice for Newton's laws?

In summary, Newton's three laws of motion are: 1) an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, 2) the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws can be applied to everyday life, explaining why objects stay in motion, how force, mass and acceleration are related, and the difference between mass and weight. These laws are fundamental principles of physics and were discovered by Isaac Newton through his studies in physics and mathematics.
mayodt
Does anyone have a good website for some questions/answers for Newton's three laws (I'm not sure if he made more, but the inertia, the net force must be zero when something is not moving, or moving at a constand rate, and the for every action there's a reaction). I've got a test tommorow, and I want some extra review to make sure I understand it, I did the questions in the book, and I got the majority of them on my own, but I want some more practice, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied to everyday life in many ways. For example, Newton's first law explains why objects stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, which is why we don't feel the Earth's rotation. Newton's second law explains how force, mass, and acceleration are related, which is useful in sports and car safety. Newton's third law applies to many situations, such as walking, swimming, and even riding a bicycle.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight according to Newton's laws?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object. According to Newton's second law, an object's mass affects its acceleration, but its weight does not. This means that an object with a larger mass will require more force to accelerate at the same rate as an object with a smaller mass. However, both objects will experience the same force of gravity, which is their weight.

4. Can Newton's laws of motion be broken?

No, Newton's laws of motion cannot be broken. They are fundamental principles of physics that have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the motion of objects in our universe. However, there are certain situations, such as at the quantum level or in extreme conditions like black holes, where these laws may not apply as we currently understand them.

5. How did Newton discover his three laws of motion?

Isaac Newton discovered his three laws of motion through his studies in physics and mathematics. He developed his laws based on observations and experiments, including his famous experiment with a falling apple. He published his laws in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687, which is considered one of the most influential works in the history of science.