1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's laws

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    calculate the acceleration of a car given that a fuzzy die hanging from a string attached to the roof of the car is deflected 15 degrees from the vertical. The mass of the die is 250 g.

Can someone help me get started? I know you have to find the components but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Examine all the forces acting on the die. What are you getting for components? Then try Newton 2.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    The forces would be tension keeping the string up and gravity.

For the components I don't really know how to find them. I wrote

F = (.250 kg)(9.8)
    F = 2.45 N

Fx = 2.45Cos15
    Fy = 2.45Sin15

I don't know if they are right.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, correct, except the tension keeps the die up.
    This is the weight of the die, the gravity force acting down.
    No those are not right; there is no x component to the gravity force, since it always act vertically down.. What you should be looking for are the components of the TENSION force. Then you can apply Newton's laws in both the x and y direction. Is the die accelerating in the x direction? How about in the y direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook