Help Needed: Solving Grandma's Force Problem

• Thread starter starprincess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the first problem involves a grandmother exerting a steady horizontal force on a wing chair, causing it to accelerate at a steady rate. The second problem involves finding the resultant force of a traction device on a foot, using known x and y components and applying the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent.
starprincess
Hello everyone, I am having some trouble with some problems. For the first picture I do not understand how to do #19. Please help me! Thank you!

Homework Statement

Grandma, of weight 500N, exerts a steady horizontal force of 100N on her 700N wing chair, thereby pushing chair across the parlor floor. While Grandma is pushing the chair, her feet do not slip on the floor, and both Grandma and the chair accelerate together at a steady 0.200 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMAG0126.jpg

For the second picture, I do not know how to solve the last question on resultant force of the traction device that exerts on the foot. Please refer to picture:
IMAG0125.jpg

For my attempt, I came up with my x and y scalar components and tried adding them but nothing came out to be any of the values. I am just very confused with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right for 19. There are two forces acting on the chair: the normal force and friction. We know there must be friction because the chair would have a higher acceleration otherwise.

For 25, I assume you've solved the other three parts (and so have your x- and y- components). Now, as with any vector whose components are known, use the Pythagorean theorem to get the magnitude of the resultant traction. To get its angle, take the inverse tangent of the y component over the x component.

1. What exactly is "Grandma's Force Problem"?

Grandma's Force Problem is a hypothetical situation in which a grandmother is struggling to move a heavy object, such as a piece of furniture or a large box. It is a common physics problem used to demonstrate the concept of force and its relation to mass and acceleration.

2. What does this problem have to do with science?

This problem is related to science because it involves the study of forces and motion, which are fundamental concepts in physics. By understanding the principles of force and its effects on objects, we can help to solve Grandma's Force Problem and similar real-life situations.

3. How can I help Grandma solve her force problem?

There are several ways to help Grandma solve her force problem. One approach would be to use a pulley system to reduce the amount of force needed to move the object. Another option would be to increase the force applied by using a lever or a ramp. Additionally, reducing the mass of the object or increasing Grandma's strength through exercise could also help.

4. Can this problem be solved theoretically or does it require real-life experimentation?

This problem can be solved using both theoretical and practical approaches. Theoretical calculations can be used to determine the amount of force needed to move the object, while real-life experimentation can help to test these calculations and find the most efficient solution.

5. Are there any other factors besides force that could affect Grandma's ability to move the object?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect Grandma's ability to move the object, such as friction, the object's shape and size, and Grandma's own physical limitations. These factors should be taken into consideration when trying to solve Grandma's Force Problem.