Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Newton's Laws

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.0kg salmon is weighed by hanging it from a fish scale attached to the ceiling of an elevator. What is the apparent weight of the salmon if the elevator is (a) at rest, (b) moving upward at 2.5 m/s2, and (c) moving downward at 3.2 m/s2?

2. Relevant equations

Sum of F = 0
    F(t) - W = 0
    F(t) = W

Sum of F = Ma
    F(t) - W = Ma (W=mg)

F(t)<W Sum of F = Ma
    W- F(t) = Ma

3. The attempt at a solution

i have trouble thinking out of the box to get the problem started. this is my very first time ever taking physics and i have not had a math or science class in a year. can anyone help me get started?! I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    Part 1, you are correct. Parts 2 & 3 you have to correct formula, use F=ma. Part 2 you should get the correct answer which should be greater than the static weight. I can't tell if part 3 is a trick question since I believe that would make your "tension force" in the other direction i.e. a compression force and a rope cant carry compression...

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    brain fart..on part 3 since the acceleration is less than gravity you would still need a tension force up.

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    thank you for the response!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook