1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Laws

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.0kg salmon is weighed by hanging it from a fish scale attached to the ceiling of an elevator. What is the apparent weight of the salmon if the elevator is (a) at rest, (b) moving upward at 2.5 m/s2, and (c) moving downward at 3.2 m/s2?

2. Relevant equations

Sum of F = 0
    F(t) - W = 0
    F(t) = W

Sum of F = Ma
    F(t) - W = Ma (W=mg)

F(t)<W Sum of F = Ma
    W- F(t) = Ma

3. The attempt at a solution

i have trouble thinking out of the box to get the problem started. this is my very first time ever taking physics and i have not had a math or science class in a year. can anyone help me get started?! I would appreciate any help! Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    Part 1, you are correct. Parts 2 & 3 you have to correct formula, use F=ma. Part 2 you should get the correct answer which should be greater than the static weight. I can't tell if part 3 is a trick question since I believe that would make your "tension force" in the other direction i.e. a compression force and a rope cant carry compression...
  4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    brain fart..on part 3 since the acceleration is less than gravity you would still need a tension force up.
  5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    thank you for the response!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook