Force, Mass, & Acceleration: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the force acting on a 2 kg mass with an acceleration of 3 m/s^2 will produce an acceleration of 6 m/s^2 when acting on a mass of 1 kg and 1.5 m/s^2 when acting on a mass of 4 kg. The force itself is 6 N and the formula used to solve this problem is Newton's second law.
softball1394
1. A force acts on a 2 kg mass and gives it an acceleration of 3 m/s^2. What acceleration is produced by the same force when acting on a mass of (a) 1 kg? (b) 4 kg? (c) How large is the force?
Answers: (a) 6 m/s^2 (b) 1.5 m/s^2 (c) 6 N

2. -

3. I can't figure out what formula to use and, thus, how to show work. I'm in 11th grade and just start AP Physics two weeks ago. Let's just say I'm extremely confused. Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What law relates force, mass, and acceleration?

I'm pretty sure it's Newton's second law.

softball1394 said:
I'm pretty sure it's Newton's second law.
Exactly! That's all you need to solve this problem.

so would it be...
f = m x a
f = 2 x 3
f = 6

(a)
f= m x a
6= 1 x a
a = 6

(b)
f= m x a
6= 4 x a
a= 1.5

(c)
f= 6N

Oh, wow. That was a lot easier than I thought ahah. Thanks!

Looks like you got it. :approve:

1. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does an increase in mass affect acceleration?

An increase in mass will result in a decrease in acceleration, as stated by Newton's Second Law. This means that a larger or heavier object will require a greater force to produce the same acceleration as a smaller or lighter object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force, mass, and acceleration?

Force is measured in Newtons (N), mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can an object have a constant acceleration with a changing force?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration with a changing force. This is because the net force acting on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. As long as the net force remains constant, the object will have a constant acceleration.

5. How can the concept of force, mass, and acceleration be applied in real-life situations?

The study of force, mass, and acceleration is crucial in understanding the motion of objects in the real world. This knowledge is applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers use this concept to design structures that can withstand different forces, while athletes use it to improve their performance and technique in sports.