1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Laws?

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    Newtons Laws??????????

well i tied this prpblem
    you apply a force of .35 n [up] to a fork and it accelaraion is .15m/s^2 wats its mass in grams
    well i tried rearanging the force equation
    but i got the worng answer si i thoght i rearanged wrong so i tried swithing the varables but that stil didnt work so i figerd there must be another force the only on i can think of is gravty 9.8 m/s^2 [down] but they are on oppiste sides si i just need to know ehn adding vectors that are both horizantal do u still need to do a vector diagem and get their componants then solve or is there an esier way :confused: :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

You are on the right track. There are 2 forces acting in opposite directions. Why do you think you have it wrong?
  4. Sep 28, 2005 #3

Try this!! First your error was that you are not converting the force(N), into grams remember that N= kg*m/s^2. So, what you really have is 350g*m/s^2. Then Newton's second law says F=m*a. So, what we do is we divide by the acceleration(a) both sides, as a result you will have m=F/a, the answer should be 2333g.
  5. Sep 28, 2005 #4
    the book answere was 35g
  6. Sep 28, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you realize that two forces act on the fork: the applied force of 0.35 N acting upward, and the weight acting downward. Weight depends on mass according to the formula [itex]w = m g[/itex].

If you take up as positive, then the net force will be the Applied force minus the weight. Set that equal to "ma" and solve for the mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?