Solving x3-x-2 for the X-Axis: Newton's Method

In summary, using Newton's method with an initial estimate of x0=2, we can find the point where the graph of f(x)=x3-x-2 crosses the x-axis. To determine the accuracy of our answer, we need to consider how many iterations of Newton's method are needed to get the x value where y=0. Generally, the method will not reach the exact x value, but will converge quadratically to a close enough solution. For this problem, 3 iterations should be enough to get an answer accurate to three decimal places.
alpha01

Homework Statement

using Newtons method with an initial estimate of x0=2, find the point where the graph f(x)=x3-x-2 crosses the x-axis

Homework Equations

xi+1 = xi - f(xi)/f'(xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a function plotter, I know the answer should be around 1.52138... But how am i supposed to know how many repetitions of Newton's method is required to get x where y=0 (i.e the x-axis).

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a function plotter, I know the answer should be around 1.52138... But how am i supposed to know how many repetitions of Newton's method is required to get x where y=0 (i.e the x-axis).
Generally it will never reach the x value when y=0, so the number of repetition is often infinite. However it's different if you want say 5 correct digits or so. I don't remember very well how to find the number of repetitions but I remember that the method converges quadratically to the solution. Reading : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method will certainly help you.

I had a look but still couldn't figure it out ...it wants the solution to 3 decimal places..

alpha01 said:

Homework Statement

using Newtons method with an initial estimate of x0=2, find the point where the graph f(x)=x3-x-2 crosses the x-axis

Homework Equations

xi+1 = xi - f(xi)/f'(xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

You aren't- no number of repetitions will give the exact value. However that is not relevant to your problem. Because you can't get an exact value, you need to think about how accurate you want the answer to be. Generally speaking, a solution is as close to the correct value as it is to the previous iteration.

it says give your answer "accurate to three decimal places" that is what I am unsure about... that sounds like i can just do one repetition and write the answer to 3 decimal places.. but that sounds too easy (its for my finals, it should be harder i think)

Then I think that 3 iterations are more than enough.
To be sure, do one iteration and keep the number you get. Do another one iteration and if the first 3 decimal places are the same, then it's done. If only the 2 first are equal, then do another iteration and you're done.

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative process used to find the roots of a function by making an initial guess and refining it until a desired level of accuracy is reached.

How is Newton's Method used to solve x3-x-2 for the X-Axis?

In order to solve x3-x-2 for the X-axis using Newton's Method, an initial guess is made for the root of the function, and then the process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What is the formula for Newton's Method?

The formula for Newton's Method is: xn+1 = xn - f(xn)/f'(xn), where xn+1 is the new estimate for the root, xn is the previous estimate, f(xn) is the function evaluated at xn, and f'(xn) is the derivative of the function evaluated at xn.

What is the significance of the X-Axis in this problem?

The X-axis represents the values of x for which the function f(x) is equal to 0. By solving for the X-axis, we are finding the roots of the function, which are the values of x that make the equation true.

What are the advantages of using Newton's Method to solve equations?

Newton's Method is a powerful and efficient method for finding roots of equations. It can handle a wide range of functions, including those that are not easily solvable by hand. It also converges quickly to the root, making it a useful tool for solving complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.