1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Newton's method

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    We assume that f(x), f'(x) and f''(x) are continuous in [a,b], and that for some [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\in [/tex] (a,b) , we have [tex] f( \alpha )= 0 [/tex] and [tex]f'( \alpha ) \neq 0 [/tex]. We show that if [tex]x_{0}[/tex] is chosen close enough to [tex]\alpha[/tex], the iterates
    [tex]x_{n+1} = x_{n}- \frac{f(x_{n})}{f'(x_{n})}[/tex]
    converge to [tex]\alpha[/tex].

I tried to use Taylor's expansion for [tex] f( \alpha )[/tex] (centered at [tex]x_{n}[/tex]), and I got to this expression

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (\alpha -x_{n+1})= lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} - \frac{1}{2} f''(c) \frac{( \alpha - x_{n} )^{2}}{f'(x_{n})}[/tex]

where [tex] c \in ( \alpha , x_{n} )[/tex]
    and I guess I want the right hand side to be 0 to get to the answer. But I am not sure how to prove this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your LaTeX is broken so it is hard to guess what you wrote. But what I am missing from your post is - what is the question? Are you trying to prove why Newton's method works?

And you don't need f'', f' is enough.

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    I am sorry, I fixed the latex part. (hopefully it's readable now)

By using Taylor's expansion, I got an expression, and by letting n go to infinity, if I could make the RHS become 0, I guess I would have the answer to the problem.
    The thing is ,to do that, I am not sure how to use the fact that [tex] x_{0}[/tex] is chosen close enough to [tex]\alpha[/tex].

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4

Borek

I am still not sure what you trying to do and what for.

6. Apr 6, 2010 #5
    I am just trying to prove that in this case,

[tex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (\alpha -x_{n+1})=0 [/tex]

so then the iterate [tex] x_{n+1} [/tex] converges to [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. Apr 6, 2010 #6

Borek

I don't think going through a Taylor expansion is a good idea. Your proof needs f'', but Newton method works even if only f' exists, so your proof will be incomplete.

8. Apr 6, 2010 #7
    In the hypothesis, we have that f ''(x) is continuous in [a,b], so it exists.
    I guess there must be a reason why they wanted that hypothesis in the problem...

What would be another way to approach this problem?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook