1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons method

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1
    i have the answer to this problem i just see why i'm not getting the same answer as my solution manuel. i Have two functtions f(x) = x and g(x) = tan(x)
    and i have to find where these two functions are equal using newtons method.
    i subtracted the two functions to get this new function H(x) = x -tan(x) then i found the differential of this new function to be 1 - sec^2 (x). now by looking at the given graph of the first two functions i estimated the soulution to be about 4.1. then by unising newtons method i calculated two iterations and got an answer of 8.5987, which is wrong the answer is 4.493. what could i be doing wrong? i know how to use newtons method.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2
    You need to use a better first approximation.

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure that the two functions are only equal in one place? x and tan x intersect in *lots* of places.

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4
    x has to be between pi/2 and 3pi/2 these are the asmyspotes.

6. Nov 13, 2004 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need a real good first approximation, otherwise it never converges. If you know that the tangent of 3 pi/2 is undefined and start a little lower than that, you're okay. If your guess is less than around 4.29, you won't converge.

7. Nov 13, 2004 #6
    thanks guys the last reply helped me out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?