Solving Newton's Methods: F=ma, v=at+v_0, T=ma

• Thread starter Effitol840
  • Start date
In summary: No. Because the net force is still positive. 7.7m/s^2 is the total force of all the net forces on the elevator.Ok so what I get out of that is that I'm trying to find T which is the tension on the elevator pointing up? And the force down is the gravitational force which is 9.8 m/s. The elevator is accelerating up at 2.1m/s^2. So that would be T+9.8=2.1t? Ok so I've solved for T and it is 2520N.
Effitol840
I have 2 questions:

1) A freight train has a mass of [tex]1.1\times 10^7 kg[/tex]. If the locomotive can exert a constant pull of [tex]7.8\times 10^5 N[/tex], how long does it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to [tex]90 km/h[/tex]?

I figured I could just use the formula [tex]F=ma[/tex] to get the acceleration then I plugged that into [tex]v=at+v_0[/tex] to get the time. I came up with the answer of 1267.61. I might have a problem with units because [tex]a[/tex] was [tex]m/s^2[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] was in [tex]km/h[/tex]. If that's the case how do I go about converting [tex]m/s^2[/tex] to [tex]km/h[/tex] or vice versa?

2) An elevator of mass m moving upward has two forces acting on it: the upward force of tension in the cable and the downward force due to gravity. Let the elevator have a mass of 1200 kg and an upward acceleration of 2.1 [tex]m/s^2[/tex]. Find [tex]T[/tex].

With this one I just plugged it into the equation [tex]T=ma[/tex] but I don't know if this is the correct equation. I got an answer of 2520[tex]N[/tex].

If anyone could help me with this please do.

Physics news on Phys.org
convert your km/h in the question to m/s in this way
1km/hr = 1000m/3600secs

why did you equate T with ma? Is tension the only force causing this acceleration? Keep in mind that the DIRECTION of these forces. Assume one direction to be positive and one to be negative and write down the force equation for this. That is
ALL Net forces = Net Force = m x Net Acceleration

I don't know where I got that equation from. I'm still a little confused about the tension problem. I guess I don't really know how to go about solving it.

Effitol840 said:
I don't know where I got that equation from. I'm still a little confused about the tension problem. I guess I don't really know how to go about solving it.

Ok. Draw a box taht represents the elevator. Assume up to be positive and down to be negative. What force points up, and what force points down? Now add these forces. But use the proper sign convention as in waht points up in positive and what pints down is negative. Now which way is the elevator accelratin? Is this acceleration (using the reference system) postive or negative. What is the force due to this acceleration? Now keep in mind that
Sum of all the forces (poiting up and down) = Net Force(this may be positive or negative, depending on which way teh elevator is accelerating.

Ok so what I get out of that is that I'm trying to find T which is the tension on the elevator pointing up? And the force down is the gravitational force which is 9.8 [tex]m/s[/tex]. The elevator is accelerating up at 2.1[tex]m/s^2[/tex]. So now I need to find an equation to figure out [tex]T[/tex].

Last edited:
Effitol840 said:
Ok so what I get out of that is that I'm trying to find T which is the tension on the elevator pointing up? And the force down is the gravitational force which is 9.8 [tex]m/s[/tex]. The elevator is accelerating up at 2.1[tex]m/s^2[/tex]. So that would be [tex]T+9.8=2.1t[/tex]?

What is the formula for force? Thus how do you find the force exerted by gravity? ANd the net force?

Also remember to make a REFERENCE SYSTEM. One should be positive and one be negative. Are Tensio nand gravity in the same direction? Correct the signs!

[tex]F=ma[/tex]. Force up is possitive 2.1[tex]m/s^2[/tex] and force down is negative 9.8[tex]m/s^2[/tex]. So does that mean total [tex]F=[/tex]negative 7.7[tex]m/s^2[/tex]?

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be written as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you use Newton's Second Law to solve for acceleration?

To solve for acceleration using Newton's Second Law, you can rearrange the equation to a=F/m. This means that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass. By plugging in the given values for force and mass, you can calculate the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the equation for velocity in terms of acceleration and time?

The equation for velocity in terms of acceleration and time is v=at+v0, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, t is the time, and v0 is the initial velocity. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law and can be used to calculate the final velocity of an object given its initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

4. How is Newton's Second Law used to find the force of an object?

Newton's Second Law can be used to find the force of an object by rearranging the equation to F=ma. This means that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By plugging in the given values for mass and acceleration, you can calculate the force of the object.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be used to find the mass of an object?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be used to find the mass of an object. By rearranging the equation to m=F/a, you can calculate the mass of an object by dividing the force acting on it by its acceleration. This is useful when the mass of an object is unknown, but the force and acceleration are known.