1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Principia Problem

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone, I am reading Principia Lemma 10 and I cannot understand it. Can someone please help explaining? Thank you very much.
    1.png
    23.png
    2.png
    Furthermore, is there any way of understanding the Principia in a more numerical ways rather than words like this? Just asking.
    Again, thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

S. Chandrasekhar Newton's Principia for the Common Reader Chapter 3, Section 15, pp 50-52 in modern integral notation.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I think that in modern terms, this is [itex]s = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/itex]. So [itex]\frac{s_1}{s_2} = (\frac{t_1}{t_2})^2[/itex]. This is constant acceleration from rest. Since it's at the very beginning off the motion, the force won't have had time to change?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It would interesting to know whether Newton is representing a graph of a function of position vs time with time on the y-axis or whether he is thinking of the curves as trajectories of an object in 2-D space.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    Wao, thank you everyone, this helps much

7. Jan 11, 2015 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook