1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Question Tough!

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    PLZ HELP one tough one!!

question is like this:

What is the relationship between the Newton scale reading and Fx=mgcosθ?

newton scale is attached to the cart which is pulled by the Newton scale.. but how do i explain the relationship?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could start by explaining the problem properly. What is Fx? What is the angle?

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    the angle is 70.

but it is kinda discussion question. I have done this lab on Angle depending on Work and now i have to find the relationship between Newton scale which is attached end of the cart. When the cart is pulled 0.1m with 0.1 kg it makes angle of 70 on pully.

Now, i know how to calculate Fx, but don't know how to explain the relationship between Newton scale & Fx.
  5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    here is my thought, Fx=mgcos70 which is the resulting force of the y forces, which is the weight(mg) and the x forces which is the scale pulling pulling on the cart(your adjacent force). so basically you just need a force strong enough to overcome the weight of the cart.

I don't know if that helps, but it's a summary of what's happening
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?