Newton's Ring Apparatus and Refractive Index

In summary, a question was posed regarding the refractive index of a liquid when a Newton's ring apparatus is immersed in it. The equation r=√(mλR/n) was suggested to be used, with the initial value for n being 1 and r being 2.99 cm when the apparatus is in air. When immersed in the liquid, n is unknown and r is 2.49 cm. The value for R does not need to be known. The equation was derived from a source found through a Google search. The final answer for the refractive index was calculated to be 1.44.
ns225
Hello, I'm a bit stumped on a problem and wondered if anyone knew how to approach this problem:

When a Newton's ring apparatus, ( Fig. 24-30(see attached) ) is immersed in a liquid, the diameter of the eighth dark ring decreases from 2.99 cm to 2.49 cm. What is the refractive index of the liquid?

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• 24_30.gif
    24_30.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This may apply

[tex]r= \sqrt(m \lambda R/n) [/tex]

substitute and solve for n

I am not sure that I can do that, the problem posted above is all the information I am given. I do not know the wavelength. (also, what does the R represent?) Is there something I missed?

thank you

Use the equation twice:

Initially, the apparatus is in air (presumably). [itex]n = 1[/itex] and [itex]r = 2.99[/itex] cm.

When immersed in the liquid, [itex]n = unknown[/itex] and [itex]r = 2.49[/itex] cm.

[itex]R[/itex] is the radius of the spherical surface that is part of the Newton's Rings apparatus. You don't need to know its value, nor do you need to know the wavelength. When you set up the two equations above, you should be able to figure out why. :smile:

Thank you, I got the correct answer by using the equation above. However, I do not know where the equation above came from. I would like to know why the equation above works. Could you tell me how you came up with the equation please? In class we did not cover the radius of the spherical surface of Newton's apparatus, so needless to say, I have no equations that involve anything like it. Again, thank you for your help, I understand how to manipulate the above equation but I don't know why the above equation is valid. Any help if you are so inclined. Thanks.

Searching for "Newton's rings" with Google gives this as the very first result:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsRings.html

It ends up with [itex]m+1/2[/itex] in the equation instead of plain [itex]m[/itex], but that's probably because one is for bright rings (constructive interference) and the other is for dark rings (destructive interference).

wow, i feel kinda foolish. I'm usually much better at being thorough with looking for something online. sorry but again, thank you for your help. I'm glad that i understand it now, thanks.

srry know its too late to answer, refractive index=(2.99^2)/(2.49^2)=1.44

1. What is Newton's Ring Apparatus?

Newton's Ring Apparatus is an experimental setup used to study the phenomenon of interference in thin films of air sandwiched between two curved surfaces, specifically a convex lens and a flat glass plate.

2. How does the Newton's Ring Apparatus work?

The apparatus works by directing a monochromatic light source, such as a laser, onto the curved surfaces. The light reflects off of the top surface and then off of the bottom surface, creating a pattern of interference fringes that can be observed and measured.

3. What is the purpose of using the Newton's Ring Apparatus?

The purpose of using this apparatus is to measure the refractive index of a medium, which is the measure of how much a material bends light. By measuring the diameter of the interference fringes, the refractive index of the medium between the two surfaces can be calculated.

4. How is the refractive index calculated using the Newton's Ring Apparatus?

The refractive index can be calculated using the formula n = (m+0.5)λ/R, where n is the refractive index, m is the order of the fringe, λ is the wavelength of the light source, and R is the radius of the curvature of the lens.

5. What are the practical applications of the Newton's Ring Apparatus and refractive index?

The Newton's Ring Apparatus and refractive index have many practical applications, including determining the quality of lenses, measuring the thickness of thin films, and studying the optical properties of materials. They are also used in fields such as optics, physics, and engineering.