1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Rings Help

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    Hi. I have some homework questions here that I need a little help on. I know the fomulae to use just do not know how to apply it properly. Any help will be appreciated.

In a Newton's Ring experiment, a planoconvex glass (n=1.54) lens having a diameter 14.3 cm is placed on a flat plate. When 585 nm light is incident normally, 8 bright rings are observed with the last one right on the edge of the lens, at r.

1. What is the thickness of the lens?
    2. What is the radius of curvature of the convex surface of the lens?
    3. What is the focal length of the lens?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2006 #2
    not that i can answer this but if you read the FAQ you are supposed to show some working or some effort to have started your problem, maybe if you do that you will have more of a chance of it being answered

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Well I know that at the center there is a dark spot so to find the thickness of the lens I'd assume that t=m(lambda)/2n but I get an unreasonable answer. To find the radius of curvature I tried using r=sqroot(m(lambda)R/n therefore R=r^2/(m*lambda*n) but again I don't think I'm getting the right answer. I'm not trying to catch a break here. So any help will be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?