Newton's rings optics question

In summary, the conversation involves a Newton's ring experiment in air and the calculation of an unknown liquid's index of refraction. The equation for the radius of the Nth ring is xm=√mλfR. The diameter of the fourth bright ring is initially 10.0mm, but shrinks to 8.45mm when the unknown liquid is added. It is assumed that the liquid's refractive index is less than that of glass.
ChrisWM
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Consider a Newton's ring experiment in air. The diameter of the fourth bright rings 10.0mm. When an unknown liquid is poured into the gap between the lens and the support, the diameter of this ring shrinks to 8.45 mm. Calculate the liquid's index of refraction. Assume that the liquid's refractive index is less than the index of refraction of glass (used for the lens and bottom plate).
Relevant Equations
xm=√mλfR.
I have no idea where to start with this. My professor didn't give an example and I am very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisWM said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a Newton's ring experiment in air. The diameter of the fourth bright rings 10.0mm. When an unknown liquid is poured into the gap between the lens and the support, the diameter of this ring shrinks to 8.45 mm. Calculate the liquid's index of refraction. Assume that the liquid's refractive index is less than the index of refraction of glass (used for the lens and bottom plate).
Relevant Equations:: xm=√mλfR.

I have no idea where to start with this. My professor didn't give an example and I am very confused.
What is the equation for the radius of the Nth ring?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings#Theory

1. What are Newton's rings in optics?

Newton's rings are a pattern of concentric colored rings that appear when a plano-convex lens is placed on top of a flat glass surface. They are caused by the interference of light waves that are reflected between the two surfaces.

2. How do Newton's rings form?

Newton's rings form when a monochromatic light source is directed onto a plano-convex lens that is placed on a flat glass surface. The light waves are partially reflected from both surfaces and interfere with each other, creating the characteristic ring pattern.

3. What is the significance of Newton's rings in optics?

Newton's rings demonstrate the wave nature of light and the principles of interference. They are also used in the measurement of the radius of curvature of lenses and the thickness of transparent materials.

4. How can the spacing between Newton's rings be calculated?

The spacing between Newton's rings can be calculated using the formula: s = R/2 * (m + 1/2) * λ, where s is the spacing between rings, R is the radius of curvature of the lens, m is the order of the ring, and λ is the wavelength of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of Newton's rings?

Newton's rings have various applications in optics, such as in the construction and testing of lenses, determining the refractive index of transparent materials, and in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. They are also used in the production of high-quality optical components for devices like cameras and projectors.