1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law Equations

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After falling from rest at a height of 29.8 m, a 0.596 kg ball rebounds upward, reaching a height of 23.9 m. If the contact between ball and ground lasted 1.68 ms, what average force was exerted on the ball?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so I figured out that the final velocity before the ball first hits the ground is 24.17 m/s, and the velocity when the ball begins to bounce back up its inital velocity is 21.64 m/s. If the a= vf-vi / t, that gives me 21.64 - 24.17 which is -2.53 / 0.00168 which equals -1505.95, which I think is totally unreasonable....where am I going wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful with signs. Downward velocity should be negative. That will give the average acceleration; you still have to calculate the force of ground on ball.
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3
    ok thanks got it!
  5. Oct 12, 2007 #4
    All right new question :D

The leg and cast in the figure below weigh 232 N (w1). (Assume w3 = 100 N and q = 39.2o). (See pic)

So I know that Ft3 = Fg3 = 100N

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy2 = m2ay2
    Ftyx + Fty3 - Fg1 = 0
    Ft2 sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + Ft3sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] - Fg1 = 0
    Ft2 sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] +100sin39.2 - 232 N = 0
    Ft2 sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 168.797

But now i'm stuck...I would like to solve for Fty2, because I have found that Ftx2 is 77.49, but I'm not sure how to solve fot Fty2 with the information I have

Attached Files:

6. Oct 12, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you analyzed the vertical components, so now analyze the horizontal components.
  7. Oct 12, 2007 #6

I would start a new thread for this, it will get much better traffic. Also, if you have an image host like Photobucket, I would upload though that. The PF image hosting has to be approved by a moderator first...which could take all day as they have a lot of them to deal with.

Edit: But it looks like Doc Al was just waiting to prove me wrong:rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?