Newton's second law for car force problem

In summary, The conversation involves a problem with finding the force that affects a driver (80kg) when the fastest cars (600kg) traveling at 350km/h experience a retardation of 1.1 g when the foot is taken off the gas pedal. The formula suggested to use is Newton's second law, F = m * a, where the mass of the car and driver system can be used to calculate the acceleration and force on the driver alone. The acceleration is given as 1.1 g, which is equivalent to 9.8 m/s^2.
Kahsi
Hi.

I have this problem:

The fastest cars can travel at 350km/h. When you take the foot of the gaspedal the air will decrease the speed of the car. This leads to a retardation (I hope it's the right word for it) at 1.1 g. Which force (N) will affect the driver (80kg)? The weight of the car is 600 kg.

Which formula should I use? I don't want anyone to give me the answer just like that, instead I would like some tips.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Newton's second law to find the decelaration of the (car +driver) system. Again apply the same law to the driver alone using the above found decelaration to find the force on him.

Kahsi said:
The weight of the car is 600 kg.

You mean mass.

Yea, mass. Sorry.

Newtons second law

F = m * a

I have m (the mass) But I don't have the acceleration or the Force.

the 1.1g is the accelaration,
1g=9.8 m/s^2

1. What is Newton's second law for car force problem?

Newton's second law for car force problem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the smaller its acceleration will be.

2. How is Newton's second law applied to cars?

In the context of cars, Newton's second law is used to calculate the force required to accelerate or decelerate the car. This force is known as the net force, and it takes into account factors such as the car's mass, its initial velocity, and the final velocity desired.

3. What are some real-life examples of Newton's second law in car force problems?

One example is when a car is accelerating from a stop sign. The force of the engine pushes the car forward, causing it to accelerate. Another example is when a car is braking to come to a stop. The force of the brakes applied to the wheels causes the car to decelerate.

4. How does the mass of a car affect its acceleration?

The mass of a car has a direct impact on its acceleration. A heavier car will require more force to accelerate at the same rate as a lighter car. This is because the mass of an object is inversely proportional to its acceleration according to Newton's second law.

5. Can Newton's second law be used to calculate the force of air resistance on a moving car?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to calculate the force of air resistance on a moving car. This force, also known as drag, is affected by factors such as the shape of the car, its velocity, and the density of the air. By considering these factors, the force of air resistance can be calculated using the formula F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where ρ is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the car, A is the cross-sectional area of the car, and Cd is the drag coefficient.