1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Second Law force help

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Hey all, I am new to Physics. Recently changed majors from technical writing to physics for the amount of interest I have in the subject. I have been doing ok but I missed a couple of questions on my last homework and I feel that I should have had somebody check my general solved statements after I finished to make sure that I was correct. Anyways, enough about me!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the greatest acceleration a runner can muster if the friction between her shoes and the pavement is 90% of her weight?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    .9%*9.8 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figure since the force is her body moving at a constant velocity that the greatest acceleration she could reach would be 8.82 m/s. I also tried to make this using Newtons Second Law of a = Fnet/m but what would the net force be equal to? 90%? Any and all help is appreciated, but please post in user friendly terms as I am not that familiar with heavy physics terms yet as I have seen in some other topics(but not all).
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure how your paper was graded, but maybe you got it wrong because of a little confusion in units and terminology?

The force of her movement is her body's mass moving at a constant acceleration, not velocity. Also the greatest acceleration would be 8.82 m/s^2. I can't see a mistake otherwise.
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks Sarujin, your help is appreciated as well as the corrections to my terms. I see why I go it wrong now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?