1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons second law force problem

1. Oct 26, 2003 #1
    A 69 kg block is pushed along the celing with a constant applied force of 1300N that acts at an angle of 56 degrees with the horzontal. The block accelerates to the right at 8m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the normal force the ceiling exerts on the block? Answer in units of N.

and

A merry-go-round makes one complete revolution in 16s. A 19.7kg child sits on the horizontal floor of the merry-go-round 3.58 m from the center. Find the child's acceleration. Answer in units of m/s^2.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strange- you seem to have neglected to show what YOU have already done on these problems.

4. Oct 26, 2003 #3
    ok for problem 1)
    i did fnet = ma
    i think i have it now
    i did Fsin56 - mg = N

and i have no clue where to start on the second problem

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  5. Oct 26, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The child's mass is irrelevant. Since the radius for the child is 3.58 meters, the child is going around a distance of 2π (3.58) meters every 16 s. From that you can determine the childs speed in mets per second. Of course that's a constant speed but the direction is changing. Do you have a formula for the the acceleration toward the center given the speed around the circle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?