1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's second law lab graph

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    Graphs Of Acceleration And Force

We did this lab....on Newton's Second Law. we are trying to prove the formula F=ma...

Now i drew this graph of acceleration vs time and force vs time....they look similar..how can i interpretate them?

someone help!!!! MY lab is due tomorrow!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

They are supposed to look similar, they are only different by a scaling factor (mass). In fact, if instead of plotting each against time, if you were to plot force as the y axis and acceleration as the x axis then you should get a straight line with slope equal to m.
  4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    ok..thas true...but now the problem is that....i have plotted force on y axis and acceleration on x-axis....and i calculated their slope and found an equation....the slope is suppose to be the mass of the object rite?
    but I am getting smthing slightly different.
    Actual mass is 1.04kg and the mass that i calculated was 1.13kg. Why are they different?
  5. Feb 3, 2008 #4
    Your measurements need to be more precise. I think acceleration measurement is not easy.
  6. Feb 3, 2008 #5
    oh thanks....

what am i suppose to do here?

Compare the graphs of force vs. time and acceleration vs. time for a particular trial.

What do i do here...i am confused :S
  7. Feb 3, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

<10% experimental error is probably quite good for the kind of experimental setup you would usually have at a typical school lab.
  8. Feb 3, 2008 #7
    oh thanks...dale and pixel
  9. Feb 3, 2008 #8
    HOw do u compare acceleration vs. time and force vs. time graphs?

PLz help pplz
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?