Comparing Acceleration and Force Graphs: How Do They Relate?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a lab on Newton's Second Law, specifically trying to prove the formula F=ma. The participants discuss the graphs of acceleration vs time and force vs time, which should look similar but with a scaling factor of mass. They also discuss the importance of precise measurements and how to compare the two graphs for a particular trial.
fact file
Graphs Of Acceleration And Force

Hi!

We did this lab...on Newton's Second Law. we are trying to prove the formula F=ma...

Now i drew this graph of acceleration vs time and force vs time...they look similar..how can i interpretate them?

someone help! MY lab is due tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are supposed to look similar, they are only different by a scaling factor (mass). In fact, if instead of plotting each against time, if you were to plot force as the y-axis and acceleration as the x-axis then you should get a straight line with slope equal to m.

ok..thas true...but now the problem is that...i have plotted force on y-axis and acceleration on x-axis...and i calculated their slope and found an equation...the slope is suppose to be the mass of the object rite?
but I am getting smthing slightly different.
Actual mass is 1.04kg and the mass that i calculated was 1.13kg. Why are they different?

fact file said:
ok..thas true...but now the problem is that...i have plotted force on y-axis and acceleration on x-axis...and i calculated their slope and found an equation...the slope is suppose to be the mass of the object rite?
but I am getting smthing slightly different.
Actual mass is 1.04kg and the mass that i calculated was 1.13kg. Why are they different?

Your measurements need to be more precise. I think acceleration measurement is not easy.

oh thanks...

what am i suppose to do here?

Compare the graphs of force vs. time and acceleration vs. time for a particular trial.

What do i do here...i am confused :S

fact file said:
<10% experimental error is probably quite good for the kind of experimental setup you would usually have at a typical school lab.

oh thanks...dale and pixel

HOw do u compare acceleration vs. time and force vs. time graphs?

PLz help pplease

What is the purpose of a Newton's second law lab graph?

The purpose of a Newton's second law lab graph is to visually display the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration as described by Newton's second law of motion.

How is force represented on a Newton's second law lab graph?

Force is typically represented on the y-axis of a Newton's second law lab graph. The units for force on the graph are usually in Newtons (N).

What is the significance of the slope on a Newton's second law lab graph?

The slope of a Newton's second law lab graph represents the acceleration of an object. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration of the object.

How is mass represented on a Newton's second law lab graph?

Mass is typically represented on the x-axis of a Newton's second law lab graph. The units for mass on the graph are usually in kilograms (kg).

What does a straight line on a Newton's second law lab graph indicate?

A straight line on a Newton's second law lab graph indicates a direct relationship between force and acceleration. This means that as force increases, acceleration will also increase.