What is the Constant of Proportionality in Newton's Second Law of Motion?

In summary, the rate of change of linear momentum, dp/dt, is directly proportional to the net force acting on a body, F. This can be shown by the equation F=k(dp/dt), where k is the constant of proportionality. The value of k is determined by choosing units for force and mass so that k=1, as in the case of the Newton. This explains why the Newton is a relatively small unit compared to most forces encountered in everyday life.
andyrk
"The rate of change of linear momentum of a body with time is directly proportional to the net force acting on it."

=>F[itex]\propto[/itex]dp/dt​
Then how do we suddenly come to:
F=dp/dt?​
We took the proportionality constant as 1 but why?
How to determine that the constant of proportionality is 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear momentum is defined as p=mv

Assuming there is no change in mass and differentiating,
you get F=dp/dt

Expanding on WannabeNewton's post the Newton is defined such that the constant of proportionality is one. Imagine proving by experiment that a is proportional to F/M where the unit of F is yet to be defined. We can write:

a=kF/M

If now we define one Newton as being the resultant force that gives a mass of 1kg an acceleration of 1 metre per second squared then k becomes one.
I could come up with an alternative definition and suggest that the unit of force should be the turnip where one turnip is the resultant force that gives 2.7kg an acceleration 4.6 m/second squared. K would now be an awkward number and I don't think people will use my definition.

Dadface said:
Expanding on WannabeNewton's post the Newton is defined such that the constant of proportionality is one. Imagine proving by experiment that a is proportional to F/M where the unit of F is yet to be defined. We can write:

a=kF/M

If now we define one Newton as being the resultant force that gives a mass of 1kg an acceleration of 1 metre per second squared then k becomes one.
I could come up with an alternative definition and suggest that the unit of force should be the turnip where one turnip is the resultant force that gives 2.7kg an acceleration 4.6 m/second squared. K would now be an awkward number and I don't think people will use my definition.

Defining the unit so that the constant of proportionality is 1 also explains why the Newton is such a whoosey amount, meaning that most forces encountered have a large value - like my weight is approx 1000N. A Newton is more like the weight of small chocolate bars.

Masquerade178 said:
Linear momentum is defined as p=mv

Assuming there is no change in mass and differentiating,
you get F=dp/dt
Not equal, proportional.
What about the proportionality constant then?

Edit: Apologies for the previous post. I read your answers after I submitted mine.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, this law explains how the force applied to an object affects its motion.

What is the equation for Newton's Second Law of Motion?

The equation for Newton's Second Law of Motion is F=ma, where F represents the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation shows that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

How does Newton's Second Law of Motion relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion is often referred to as the "law of acceleration" and is directly related to Newton's First Law of Motion (the law of inertia) and Newton's Third Law of Motion (the law of action and reaction). Together, these three laws make up Newton's laws of motion, which are fundamental principles in understanding the movement of objects.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Some common examples of Newton's Second Law of Motion include pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, and driving a car. In each of these situations, the force applied to the object (the shopping cart, the ball, or the car) determines how it will accelerate and move.

How is mass different from weight in relation to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. In Newton's Second Law of Motion, mass is directly related to the acceleration of an object, while weight is not a factor in the equation.