1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law of Motion

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    "The rate of change of linear momentum of a body with time is directly proportional to the net force acting on it."

=>F[itex]\propto[/itex]dp/dt​
    Then how do we suddenly come to:
    F=dp/dt?​
    We took the proportionality constant as 1 but why?
    How to determine that the constant of proportionality is 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2
    Linear momentum is defined as p=mv

Assuming there is no change in mass and differentiating,
    you get F=dp/dt

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

5. Jun 26, 2013 #4
    Expanding on WannabeNewton's post the Newton is defined such that the constant of proportionality is one. Imagine proving by experiment that a is proportional to F/M where the unit of F is yet to be defined. We can write:

a=kF/M

If now we define one Newton as being the resultant force that gives a mass of 1kg an acceleration of 1 metre per second squared then k becomes one.
    I could come up with an alternative definition and suggest that the unit of force should be the turnip where one turnip is the resultant force that gives 2.7kg an acceleration 4.6 m/second squared. K would now be an awkward number and I dont think people will use my definition.

6. Jun 26, 2013 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Defining the unit so that the constant of proportionality is 1 also explains why the Newton is such a whoosey amount, meaning that most forces encountered have a large value - like my weight is approx 1000N. A newton is more like the weight of small chocolate bars.

7. Jun 26, 2013 #6
    Not equal, proportional.
    What about the proportionality constant then?

8. Jun 26, 2013 #7
    Edit: Apologies for the previous post. I read your answers after I submitted mine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted