1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's second law

1. Dec 27, 2005 #1
    I'm reading through an example involving Newton's second law. The situation is that there are n particles surrounded by a sytem boundary. The picture consists of a bunch of circles (particles) enclosed by a closed loop.

The forces acting on one of the particles of mass m_i consist of an external resultant force F_i and other external forces which is given by [tex]\sum\limits_{j = 1}^n {\mathop {F_{ij} }\limits^ \to } [/tex]. So Newton's second alw applied to the particle with mass m_i is:

\mathop {F_i }\limits^ \to + \sum\limits_{j = 1}^n {\mathop {F_{ij} }\limits^ \to = \frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {m_i \mathop {V_i }\limits^ \to } \right)}

F_ij ~ force of particle with mass j on particle with mass i.

The example goes on to say that there are n such equations (presumably the one above) so to simplify they rewrite it as follows:

\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\mathop {F_i }\limits^ \to } + \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\sum\limits_{j = 1}^n {\mathop {F_{ij} }\limits^ \to } } = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {m_i \mathop {V_i }\limits^ \to } \right)}

I don't know how the double summation works. For a single summation for example [tex]\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n k [/tex] I just take k, replace it with one and repeat for all integers from 1 to n. The sum would then be S = 1 + 2 + 3...+ n = (n/2)(n+1). I'm not sure if the double summation is similar. Can someone explain? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2005 #2
    First do the summation over j, then you have to do j summations over i :

[tex] \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\sum\limits_{j = 1}^n (F_{ij}) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (F_{i1}+F_{i2}+...+F_{in}) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (F_{i1})+\sum\limits_{i=1}^n (F_{i2})+...+ \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (F_{in}) [/tex]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  4. Dec 28, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your explanation Marlon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?