1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    I'm having a hard time understanding this.
    If a car that has a constant acceleration hits me lets say at 10km/h then at 100km/h will it exert the same amount of force on me? F= ma mass and acceleration are constant. But this doesn't seem right, does it?

Do you guys know any good website or a book that has questions that will test my conceptual understanding of newton's laws.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2
    If you're talking about hitting, you have to consider momentum, which does take into account the velocity of the car.
  4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    The force accelerating the car is not the same as the force you'd experience when it hit you. F=ma works for the car, but the force you feel is the change in your momentum delta-P, divided by the time it takes to change momentum, delta-t.

Consider the case of a car that isn't accelerating at all, just moving at constant speed. When it hits you, there's no accelerating force F=ma, but you'll still feel a force on impact.
  5. Feb 17, 2007 #4
    ahh... ok. I guess I have to wait till we get to momentum to fully understand this. thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?