Newton's Second Law

Homework Statement

Two calibrated elevation blocks have a combined thickness of 1.86 cm. Find the angle of elevation of the 1.00-m long track for this situation.

Homework Equations

F = ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a LOT of trouble, even beginning to draw the picture for this problem. I think if someone could help me draw the picture, I would be good to go :)
Aaaaand, I'm not exactly sure what the 'thickness' refers to? The weight?

I know that I haven't really provided a good enough attempt at a solution :/ But it's because I am honestly really lost as to where I even begin. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Without a diagram, I'm just guessing that the right end of the track is elevated 1.86 cm above the left end, creating an incline sloping upward at a small angle. Use trig to find the angle, I guess. Is there another part to this problem that requires you to use Newton's law?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there another part to this problem that requires you to use Newton's law?

Yes, what does Newton's second law have to do with this? :confused:

Have you missed out part of the question? … it doesn't seem to make sense on it own. :redface:

Hmmm...
Well, this is one of our pre-labs question. And the lab is titled: Newton's Second Law of Motion. So I figured it had something to do with Newton's Laws?
Also, why do they include the thickness of the blocks, if it's just a simple trig question? :confused: