1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two calibrated elevation blocks have a combined thickness of 1.86 cm. Find the angle of elevation of the 1.00-m long track for this situation.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having a LOT of trouble, even beginning to draw the picture for this problem. I think if someone could help me draw the picture, I would be good to go :)
    Aaaaand, I'm not exactly sure what the 'thickness' refers to? The weight?

I know that I haven't really provided a good enough attempt at a solution :/ But it's because I am honestly really lost as to where I even begin. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without a diagram, I'm just guessing that the right end of the track is elevated 1.86 cm above the left end, creating an incline sloping upward at a small angle. Use trig to find the angle, I guess. Is there another part to this problem that requires you to use Newton's law?

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, what does Newton's second law have to do with this? :confused:

Have you missed out part of the question? … it doesn't seem to make sense on it own. :redface:

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    Hmmm...
    Well, this is one of our pre-labs question. And the lab is titled: Newton's Second Law of Motion. So I figured it had something to do with Newton's Laws?
    Also, why do they include the thickness of the blocks, if it's just a simple trig question? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook