1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Shell/Sphere Theorem

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1

h4d

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform solid sphere is inside and concentric with a spherical shell.

M1=133kg ---mass of shell
    R1=2.42m ---radius of shell

M2=278kg --mass of sphere
    R2=1.16m --radius of sphere

a) Find the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted by the sphere and spherical shell on a particle of mass 6 kg located at a distance 0.56 m from the center of the sphere and spherical shell.

b) Find the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted by the sphere and spherical shell on a particle of mass 6 kg located at a distance 1.66 m from the center of the sphere and
    spherical shell.

c)Find the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted by the sphere and spherical shell on a particle of mass 6 kg located at a distance 2.84 m from the center of the sphere and spherical shell.

2. Relevant equations

F=GMm/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first one, I thought that the answer should be zero because I believed that the force on point masses inside a sphere/shell was zero.

I'm not sure how to begin with the rest because I think I'm overlooking something in the first part.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The gravitational force at distance r from a homogeneous sphere is the same as if all the mass contained in a sphere of radius r concentrated in the centre. So the gravitational force at 0.56 m from the centre is not zero.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted