Unraveling the Mystery of F=ma: Understanding Mass

In summary, the equation F=ma is the result of observing how objects interact with one another. It is a result of Newton's second law. Mass is a property of an object that is related to the stuff from which it is made. People are still trying to figure out exactly what it is. However, based on what you have explained, I think we can be assured that humans will find another way to explain or understand mass.
enricfemi

Homework Statement

Why F=ma? And what is mass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
"[URL [Broken]

Mass is the measure of how much matter an object or body contains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,Gauss177,I just cannot link to the web you provide.
And who knows what the matter is?

enricfemi said:

Homework Statement

Why F=ma? And what is mass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These are really philosophical questions. Asking why F=ma is like asking why the universe exists. Nobody really knows and probably never will. Newton's second law (F = ma) is the result of observation about how objects interact with one another. Mass is a property of an object that is related to the stuff from which it is made. People are still trying to figure out exactly what it is. What we do know is that there are many things that double when you double the amount of a substance, and triple if you triple the amount and so on. The amount of heat required to melt ice doubles if you double the amount of ice. The amount of effort you have to exert to lift a cube of ice doubles if you double the volume of the ice, etc., etc.

You can search the internet for definitions of mass, and based on the fact that you are even asking the question I suspect none of them will be satisfying to you. The defintions will probably all seem circular, talking about resistance to changes in motion, which is just a vague way of saying that something like F = ma is at work without saying exactly what the relationship is.

Why F = ma? For the simple reason that it works. While the definitions of force and mass may seem to be circular, the fact is that this equation gives a self consistent way of analyzing the interactions among the many lumps of matter that make up the universe.

Thank you,OlderDan.From your explanation, I think I am more enlightened.It really more exact than book.

But I strongly think that human being will find another something to explain it or replace it,since there is only one god in the world.

Loving you...:!)

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of F=ma?

F=ma is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

2. Why is it important to understand F=ma?

Understanding F=ma is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It allows us to predict how objects will move when a certain force is applied to them, and it is the basis for many other important equations in physics.

3. How is F=ma related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

F=ma is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. F=ma is essentially a mathematical representation of this law.

4. Can F=ma be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, F=ma can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, the force, mass, and acceleration are all in a straight line. In rotational motion, the force, mass, and acceleration are all related to the rotation of an object around an axis.

5. How can I use F=ma in real-world situations?

F=ma can be used in a variety of real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the force needed to lift an object, the acceleration of a car, or the speed of a projectile. It is also used in fields such as engineering and astrophysics to design and predict the behavior of structures and systems.