Solving for Force of B on A in a Newton's Third Law Problem

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, A and B, placed on a rough surface with an applied force causing both to accelerate at 1.2m/s^2 to the right. The magnitude of the force of friction on block B is given as 18.3N. The goal is to calculate the force exerted by block B on block A. After considering the action/reaction pairs and using the equation f=ma, the net force experienced by block B is determined to be 14.4N, which is the sum of the force from block A and the opposite force of friction.
Ossim777

Homework Statement

Two Blocks, A (10kg) and B (12kg) are placed next to each other on a rough surface. An applied force acting on block A causes both blocks to accelerate at 1.2m/s^2 to the right. If the magnitude of the force of friction on Block B is 18.3N, calculate the force (magnitude and direction) exerted by block B on Block A.

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn out the problem and arrived at my numbered solutions. Here's what I have so far.
fnet of the entire system =26.4N.
Here's my action/reaction pairs:
Block A on Force=Block A on B
A on B=B on A
B on A=Force of B moving forward.
At first I simply multiplied 12 by 1.2 (m*a) to find B moving forward, getting 14.4 N and finding my B on A, which is what I'm searching for.
Problem is, there's no way the answer is that simple if the question has given me force of friction and the values of acceleration, block A and 3 different action/reaction pairs.
How exactly do I go about factoring these variables into the equation I've layed out?

All of my thanks for anyone who cares to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ossim777 said:

Homework Statement

Two Blocks, A (10kg) and B (12kg) are placed next to each other on a rough surface. An applied force acting on block A causes both blocks to accelerate at 1.2m/s^2 to the right. If the magnitude of the force of friction on Block B is 18.3N, calculate the force (magnitude and direction) exerted by block B on Block A.

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn out the problem and arrived at my numbered solutions. Here's what I have so far.
fnet of the entire system =26.4N.
Here's my action/reaction pairs:
Block A on Force=Block A on B
A on B=B on A
B on A=Force of B moving forward.
At first I simply multiplied 12 by 1.2 (m*a) to find B moving forward, getting 14.4 N and finding my B on A, which is what I'm searching for.
Problem is, there's no way the answer is that simple if the question has given me force of friction and the values of acceleration, block A and 3 different action/reaction pairs.
How exactly do I go about factoring these variables into the equation I've layed out?

All of my thanks for anyone who cares to help.

14.4 N is the net force experienced by block B. It is the sum of forces exerted on it: the force from A FA→B and the opposite force of friction, Ff=18.3 N.

ehild

1. What is Newton's Third Law Problem?

Newton's Third Law Problem is a principle in physics that states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact with each other, the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in everyday life in various situations. For example, when you kick a ball, the ball exerts an equal and opposite force on your foot, causing your foot to feel the impact. Another example is when you push a shopping cart, the cart pushes back on you with the same force, allowing it to move forward.

3. Can Newton's Third Law be seen in motion?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be seen in motion. When an object is in motion, it is constantly interacting with its surroundings, exerting forces and experiencing equal and opposite reactions. For instance, a rocket moves forward by pushing exhaust gases out of its engines, and the gases in turn push back on the rocket with an equal and opposite force.

4. What is the significance of Newton's Third Law in the study of motion?

Newton's Third Law provides a fundamental understanding of how forces work in the physical world. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and understand the interactions between them. Without this law, many phenomena in motion would be difficult to explain and understand.

5. How is Newton's Third Law related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the other two laws of motion. The First Law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, which is in line with Newton's Third Law as it requires an external force to change the motion of an object. The Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, which is also consistent with Newton's Third Law as the forces are always equal and opposite in direction.