1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons third law pulleys

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    Please help me because my teacher has not explained how to do questions involving angles.

Blocks X and Y of masses mx=5.12kg and my=3.22kg are connected by a fishing line passing over a frictionless pulley. Show that block X slides up the incline (35.7 degrees above the horizontal) with positive acceleration. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration. (0.273m/s2 is the answer)

i want to find the gravitational force for mass x so Fg=5.12x9.8=50.2N
    For mass y f=mg =3.22x9.8=31.6N

Just like with projectile problems you need to find the x and y components of Ftension for block x,which is getting pulled up at an angle but how do i do that if i dont know the applied force?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

So the block y is hanging vertically?

Write the [tex]\Sigma F=ma[/tex] equation for the block y, and the [tex]\Sigma F=ma[/tex] equations for block x

Call the tension T. The acceleration of block y downward equals the acceleration of block x up the plane. Call this a.

Is the incline frictionless?

You have 2 unknowns T and a which you should be able to solve for with the equations you get.
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    yes, the incline is frictionless and block y is hanging vertically. if i know that the normal force of y is 31.6N, does that help me in any way?
  5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

If block y is hanging... how is there a normal force?

The way you described the problem... there are 2 forces acting on y... the weight, and tension... write the [tex]\Sigma f = ma[/tex] equation for y.
  6. Oct 17, 2007 #5
    oops... i guess i meant the gravitational force is 31.6N.
  7. Oct 17, 2007 #6
    if i only have the weight of block y how am i able to find out FT? After all, isnt FT calculated by saying

do i not have 2 variables here?
  8. Oct 17, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

yes... I'll call FT, T...

Fnet = T - my*g

now... I'm going to take a as the downward acceleration... taking up as positive and down as negative:

my*(-a) = T - my*g (which has two variables, a and T)

can you come up with an equation for block x?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?