Newton's Third Law Questions

In summary, the first conversation discusses a tug of war scenario where Person A is bigger and stronger than Person B and chooses to neither pull on the rope nor allow themselves to be pulled. The approach is to balance the forces and create a horizontal line on the force vs. time graph. In the second conversation, an astronaut pushes a spacecraft to the left with a force F, causing the astronaut to accelerate to the right. The magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the spacecraft is determined using the equation F=m/a. The approach and calculations are confirmed to be correct, resulting in an acceleration of -0.0194m/s/s to the left. The astronaut's force and the spacecraft's force are equal and opposite, leading to the spacecraft not
domtar
1. Tug Of War: Person A is bigger and stronger than Person B, and chooses to neither pull on the rope, or allows Person B to pull Person A forwards. Assume that Person A's force is in the positive direction, graph both forces on one set of axis.

Approach: For Person A to neither pull or allow to be pulled, I'm assuming that the forces must be balanced and be in equilibrium. Does this mean that the force vs time graph would be a constant, straight horizontal line? That is my answer, just wondering if it was correct.

2. A 70.0kg astronaut pushes to the left on a spacecraft with a force F in "gravity-free" space. The spacecraft has a total mass of 1.0 x 10^4 kg. During the push, the astronaut accelerates to the right with an acceleration of 0.36m/s/s. Determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the spacecraft .

Approach: This is an action-reaction pair, so both forces must be equal. Therefore the force of the spacecraft moving to the left must equal the force of the astronaut when he moves to the right (after he pushes the spacecraft ). I began by using F=m/a, where m=70.0kg and a=0.36m/s/s, and my answer was 194.44N. This is the force of the astronaut moving to the right, so the force of the spacecraft moving to the left would be a=F/m, where F=194.44m/s/s, and m=1.0 x 10^4, and my answer was 0.0194m/s/s.

I'm assuming that this means that the acceleration of the spacecraft is -0.0194m/s/s since it's moving to the left. I'm very skeptical about my answers though so I was just wondering if the approach and calculations were correct? I appreciate any help and advice, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first scenario sounds like the Big guy moved forward with zero Force applied to him.

the massive spacecraft didn't accelerate quickly; that ought to make sense.

Thanks for the reply, but how does the big guy move with zero force applied to him?

How can he NOT pull on the rope, if the little guy tries to pull on it?
Only by moving forward under his own power.

Oh I see, thanks a lot!

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

Yes, a classic example is when you push against a wall. Your body is exerting a force on the wall, but the wall is also exerting an equal and opposite force back on your body, keeping you from moving through the wall.

3. How does Newton's Third Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when you walk or run. The force of your foot pushing against the ground causes the ground to push back with an equal and opposite force, propelling you forward.

4. Does Newton's Third Law only apply to objects in contact?

No, Newton's Third Law can also apply to objects that are not in direct contact. For example, when a rocket is launched, the exhaust gases pushing downward create an equal and opposite force that propels the rocket upward.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law?

In classical mechanics, there are no exceptions to Newton's Third Law. However, in certain situations involving electromagnetic or nuclear forces, the law may not hold true. Additionally, in situations where there is friction or air resistance, the forces may not be exactly equal and opposite, but they are still considered to follow the principle of Newton's Third Law.