Newton's Third Law: Pushing 20kg Box w/140N Force

In summary: F isn't just the sum of the individual forces acting on the object, it's the net force exerted on the object due to all of the forces acting on the object at the same time.
autodidude
If I push a box (mass of 20kg) with a force of 140N, is my acceleration 2m/s^2 in the positive direction? I cause it to accelerate in the same direction as I'm pushing in, and that accelerates at 7m/s^2, but it reacts with 140N also, so shouldn't it have some acceleration in my direction to produce that reaction force?

Science news on Phys.org
The acceleration of some object depends on the net force on the object, not on any forces that the object may exert on other objects.

If I understand you correctly, acceleration x mass of an object does not give the force exerted on others?

autodidude said:
If I understand you correctly, acceleration x mass of an object does not give the force exerted on others?
Acceleration x mass of an object just gives you the net force on the object.

I will assume that your mass is 70 kg.

If you are floating in space and you exert a 140 N force on a 20 kg object, while you are pushing, it will indeed accelerate at 7 m/s/s. And yes, likewise, while exerting the 140 N force, your center of mass will accelerate in the opposite direction by 2 m/s/s, because Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws apply to both you andthe object.

Doc Al said:
Acceleration x mass of an object just gives you the net force on the object.

Of the forces acting on it? Oooh...I find that a bit less intuitive.

So with weight, 686N is the force ACTING on it, not the force produced by the 70kg mass under gravity?

Bob at PC said:
I will assume that your mass is 70 kg.

If you are floating in space and you exert a 140 N force on a 20 kg object, while you are pushing, it will indeed accelerate at 7 m/s/s. And yes, likewise, while exerting the 140 N force, your center of mass will accelerate in the opposite direction by 2 m/s/s, because Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws apply to both you andthe object.

Yeah, I misunderstood Newton's laws, I thought the object would've had to accelerate in my direction to exert a force to react against my action

autodidude said:
Of the forces acting on it? Oooh...I find that a bit less intuitive.

So with weight, 686N is the force ACTING on it, not the force produced by the 70kg mass under gravity?
For a 70kg mass near the Earth's surface, 686 N is one of the forces acting on it. It is the gravitational force that the Earth exerts on the mass. And it's also the gravitational force that the mass exerts on the earth. (Newton's 3rd law.)

But when you apply ΣF = ma to an object, ΣF stands for the net force on the object.

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in strength but opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to pushing a 20kg box with a 140N force?

When you push on the 20kg box with a force of 140N, the box will exert an equal and opposite force back on you. This is why you feel resistance when trying to push the box, as the box is pushing back on you with the same amount of force.

3. Can the 20kg box ever move if the force applied is only 140N?

Yes, according to Newton's Third Law, the box will move as long as there is an unbalanced force acting on it. This means that if there is no other force opposing the 140N force, the box will move in the direction of the force applied.

4. Does Newton's Third Law only apply to objects of equal mass?

No, Newton's Third Law applies to all objects regardless of their mass. The key factor is that the forces are equal and opposite, not the masses of the objects involved.

5. Why is Newton's Third Law important for understanding motion?

Newton's Third Law helps us understand that forces always occur in pairs and that they are equal and opposite. This allows us to accurately predict how objects will behave when forces are applied to them, which is essential for understanding and studying motion.