Calculating Normal Force for Blacksmith's Anvil - Newton's Third Law

In summary, the question asks to find the normal force on a 68.2 kg anvil supported by a level block of wood. The equation f=ma is used and the only known value is 9.8x68.2, but the answer is incorrect. It is suggested to check if there is a significant figures issue and to confirm if g=10 m/s/s or if the direction of positive is specified.
rmalski

Homework Statement

[/B]Find the normal force exerted on a 68.2 kg blacksmith's anvil by the level block of wood that is supporting it.

Homework Equations

[/B]f=ma Ff=uFn

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I have tried to find all the forces acting on the anvil while using its mass but I am not correct for some reason. I did 9.8x68.2 and that is all i know what to do right now

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a significant figures issue?

Chet

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have tried to find all the forces acting on the anvil while using its mass but I am not correct for some reason. I did 9.8x68.2 and that is all i know what to do right now

That appears to be the right approach.

Did they say to assume g = 10 m/s/s rather than 9.8 m/s/s?

Did they say to assume up or down is positive?

1. How is normal force calculated for a blacksmith's anvil?

The normal force for a blacksmith's anvil is calculated using Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The anvil exerts a downward force on the object being forged, and in response, the object exerts an equal and opposite force on the anvil. This force is known as the normal force.

2. What factors affect the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil?

The normal force on a blacksmith's anvil is affected by the weight of the object being forged, as well as the force exerted by the blacksmith. The surface area of the anvil also plays a role, as a larger surface area can distribute the force over a larger area, resulting in a lower normal force.

3. Why is it important to calculate the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil?

Calculating the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil is important for ensuring the safety of the blacksmith and the proper functioning of the anvil. If the normal force is too high, it can cause damage to the anvil or even cause it to break. Additionally, knowing the normal force can help the blacksmith choose the appropriate tools and techniques for forging.

4. How can the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil be measured?

The normal force on a blacksmith's anvil can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. These tools can be placed between the anvil and the object being forged to measure the force being exerted. Alternatively, the normal force can also be calculated using the weight of the object and the angle at which it is resting on the anvil.

5. Can the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil ever be greater than the weight of the object being forged?

No, the normal force on a blacksmith's anvil can never be greater than the weight of the object being forged. This is because the anvil exerts a force equal and opposite to the force applied on it by the object. Therefore, the normal force is always equal to the weight of the object being forged.