The Relationship Between Newtons and Joules

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work, power, and energy in relation to force, velocity, and acceleration. It is pointed out that work is a frame-dependent concept and that the magnitude of work can change depending on the frame of reference. The equations for velocity, acceleration, force, work, and power are also discussed and their relationships are examined. The concept of instantaneous and average values is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the idea of Lorentz and how it may affect the calculations.
BitWiz
Gold Member
If I apply 1 Newton to 1 kilogram (at rest) for one second, it will have accelerated to 1 m/s^2 and traveled 0.5 meters. I have therefore done 0.5 J of work. Is this correct?

If I apply 1 Newton to 1kg traveling at 1,000 m/s for one second, have I now done about 1,000 joules of work with the same Newton?

Thanks,
Bit

Physics news on Phys.org
BitWiz said:
If I apply 1 Newton to 1 kilogram (at rest) for one second, it will have accelerated to 1 m/s^2 and traveled 0.5 meters. I have therefore done 0.5 J of work. Is this correct?

If I apply 1 Newton to 1kg traveling at 1,000 m/s for one second, have I now done about 1,000 joules of work with the same Newton?
Sure. You do a lot more work on the mass pushing it for 1,000 m compared to only pushing it for 0.5 m. It's not the force that counts, it's the work you do with that force.

Thanks, Doc,

So is the work "performed" by a Newton proportional to the square of the velocity during the time interval the Newton is applied?

Bit

BitWiz said:
So is the work "performed" by a Newton proportional to the square of the velocity during the time interval the Newton is applied?
The work is proportional to the distance traveled during that interval (assuming the push and the velocity are in the same direction). And the distance would depend on the average velocity, not the square of the velocity.

Thanks again, Doc,

OK, to make sure I've got this straight:

given distance(d), time(t), and mass(m)

Code:
velocity(v)                                             = d/t
acceleration(A)                               = v/t     = d/t^2
force (F)                           = Am      = vm/t    = dm/t^2
work(W)                   = Fd      = Amd     = vmd/t   = d^2m/t^2
power(P)        = W/t     = Fd/t    = Amd/t   = vmd/t^2 = d^2m/t^3
Other than that I have some things in unconventional order, am I OK so far?

Thanks,
Bit

In your table of equations, v/t isn't constant if there is acceleration. Acceleration = dv/dt.

Instantaneous power at any point in time can also be considered to be force time speed (if in the same direction).

Hmmm ...

I would think v/t is acceleration.

BitWiz said:
Hmmm ...

I would think v/t is acceleration.
Careful. Acceleration is the change in velocity per time. More accurately, the instantaneous acceleration is dv/dt; the average acceleration is Δv/Δt.

Only if you start from rest with uniform acceleration will a = v/t, where v is the final velocity.

BitWiz said:

From the perspective of an inertial frame in which that one kilogram object was (a) initially at rest versus (b) initially traveling at 1,000 m/s.

Consider the latter object that is initially moving at 1,000 m/s. (Side note: 1,000 m/s with respect to what? Even in Newtonian mechanics all velocities are relative.) From the perspective of an inertial frame in which the object is initially moving at 1,000 m/s, you have done about 1,000 joules of work. Now consider an inertial frame initially co-moving with that 1 kg object. From the perspective of this frame, you have done 0.5 joules of work.

What this means is that work is a frame-dependent concept. That shouldn't be all that surprising since (a) kinetic energy is obviously a frame dependent concept, and (b) work is related to energy via the work-energy theorem.

Doc Al said:
Careful. Acceleration is the change in velocity per time. More accurately, the instantaneous acceleration is dv/dt; the average acceleration is Δv/Δt.

Only if you start from rest with uniform acceleration will a = v/t, where v is the final velocity.

Thanks, Doc. I was trying to understand it as a ratio without fixed values. Thanks for pointing out the concepts of instantaneous and average values. I understand those, but never really appreciated the notation. If I'd seen "delta" used this way in the past (top and bottom), I'm not sure I appreciated its significance at the time -- and I like it!

I'm still trying to get a handle on the "dimensional" nature of these terms, how they relate, and how they would extrapolate. For instance, Δ(A)ccleration is apparently d/t^3 if linear. Someone in a prior post pointed out that (P)ower/(v)elocity = (F)orce. That kind of thing.

I'm also trying to appreciate the frame of reference concept and how it applies to "Newtonian" situations. I think this is where I've gotten lost. Maybe you can tell me this: does a magnitude in joules change based on the frame? Is it affected by Lorentz?

Thanks,
Bit

D H said:
From the perspective of an inertial frame in which that one kilogram object was (a) initially at rest versus (b) initially traveling at 1,000 m/s.

Consider the latter object that is initially moving at 1,000 m/s. (Side note: 1,000 m/s with respect to what? Even in Newtonian mechanics all velocities are relative.) From the perspective of an inertial frame in which the object is initially moving at 1,000 m/s, you have done about 1,000 joules of work. Now consider an inertial frame initially co-moving with that 1 kg object. From the perspective of this frame, you have done 0.5 joules of work.

What this means is that work is a frame-dependent concept. That shouldn't be all that surprising since (a) kinetic energy is obviously a frame dependent concept, and (b) work is related to energy via the work-energy theorem.

Thanks, D H. I think you just answered one of my questions above (on frames) to Doc Al. Should have read you first!

Can I ask you this: if I'm moving at a relativistic speed and accelerate, the space in front of me apparently contracts in inverse proportion to my momentum. Is this correct? If so, how does this affect "distance" units related to work and power from "my" frame and that of a fixed observer.

Thanks!
Bit

BitWiz said:
I'm still trying to get a handle on the "dimensional" nature of these terms, how they relate, and how they would extrapolate. For instance, Δ(A)ccleration is apparently d/t^3 if linear.
Not sure what you mean here. Δa has units of a, which are d/t^2, not d/t^3.

I'm also trying to appreciate the frame of reference concept and how it applies to "Newtonian" situations. I think this is where I've gotten lost. Maybe you can tell me this: does a magnitude in joules change based on the frame? Is it affected by Lorentz?
As you noticed, D H has answered that. (Yes, kinetic energy and work are frame-dependent.)

1. What is the difference between newtons and joules?

Newtons and joules are both units of measurement in the metric system. Newtons are a unit of force, while joules are a unit of energy. This means that newtons measure the amount of force applied to an object, while joules measure the amount of work done or energy transferred.

2. Can newtons and joules be used interchangeably?

No, newtons and joules cannot be used interchangeably. They are two different units of measurement and have different meanings. Newtons measure force, while joules measure energy. It is important to use the correct unit for the specific measurement being taken.

3. How are newtons and joules related?

Newtons and joules are related through the equation W = Fd, where W represents work or energy, F represents force, and d represents distance. This means that the amount of work or energy done is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

4. Which unit is more commonly used in science, newtons or joules?

The use of newtons and joules depends on the specific application. In physics, newtons are more commonly used to measure force, while joules are more commonly used to measure energy. However, both units are important in various fields of science and are used frequently in calculations and experiments.

5. Can newtons and joules be converted into each other?

No, newtons and joules cannot be directly converted into each other because they measure different quantities. However, it is possible to convert between newtons and joules using the equation W = Fd, where W represents work or energy, F represents force, and d represents distance.