How can I keep the smaller block from slipping down the larger block?

• Thread starter oscarkool2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, in order to keep the smaller block from slipping down the larger block, a horizontal force of at least magnitude M is required.
oscarkool2

Homework Statement

The two blocks (m = 14 kg and M = 100 kg) in Fig. 6-39 are not attached to each other. The coefficient of static friction between the blocks is μs = 0.28, but the surface beneath the larger block is frictionless. What is the minimum magnitude of the horizontal force required to keep the smaller block from slipping down the larger block?

Homework Equations

no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

Couldn't attempt anything because I don't know where to began and the horrible Haliday text doesn't help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe the orientation of the blocks a little better. Are they on the level or on an incline? What do you mean by the smaller block slipping down the larger block?

its a flat surface with block M on the gound at rest and block m pushing against it, but block m isn't on the ground. the friction is between block M and m. its pushing against M on the left side. I have no idea why my teacher assigns us to do homework when his lectures never cover any examples like these problems he gives us...

oscarkool2 said:
its a flat surface with block M on the gound at rest and block m pushing against it, but block m isn't on the ground. the friction is between block M and m. its pushing against M on the left side. I have no idea why my teacher assigns us to do homework when his lectures never cover any examples like these problems he gives us...

Ahh, what a cool problem! Draw yourself a picture of just the small block and identify the force on it. Two questions: (1) What force keeps the block from falling? (2) What is the equation that tells you the magnitude of that force?

Answer those questions and I'll give you the next hint.

1. What is a friction problem?

A friction problem is a scientific concept that involves the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. It is an important factor in many real-world situations, such as driving a car, walking, and using tools.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces that are in contact with each other. As these surfaces rub against each other, their irregularities interlock and create resistance, which we feel as friction. Other factors such as the weight of the objects, the type of material, and the force applied also affect the level of friction.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move one object over another. The unit of measurement for friction is called the coefficient of friction and is represented by the symbol "μ". It is a dimensionless number that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 being no friction and 1 being maximum friction.

4. Why is friction important in science?

Friction plays a vital role in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and materials science. It helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how to design better materials and devices. Without friction, many everyday activities would not be possible, and machines would not be able to function properly.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a slippery barrier between two surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smooth and polished surfaces or by reducing the weight of the objects. In some cases, adding wheels or ball bearings can also help to reduce friction and make movement easier.