What are the best options for gaining research experience after undergraduate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to graduate in 2013 and take the GRE in the fall to apply for physics PhD programs in 2014. They also mention wanting to do physics research during the gap between graduation and grad school, but are unsure about where to work. They are willing to work for little to no pay in order to gain experience. They also mention the difficulty of finding research opportunities after graduation and the limited value of non-research related work experience in the eyes of admission committees.
slimjim
So I am graduating this spring or summer, 2013, plan to take the GRE next fall and apply to physics phd programs with the aim of going to gradschool in fall of 2014.

I hope to spend the time between graduation and gradschool doing some physics related research. This is mostly for the resume since i currently have no research exp. under my belt.

Im not sure exactly where I should be working during this time. Should I aim to work for a private company, a univerity or does it matter?

I don't care about pay; I am willing to be a slave for a while longer in order to get into grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once graduated, research opportunities afaik are few and far between. There are some funded summer programs through the DOE, but the application deadline is in about 5 days, might be a bit too late to bug some professors for recommendation letters. Try asking some profs about volunteer work maybe?

I'm in the same situation as you, I want to apply next year but have no way of getting additional experience between now and then. I've been told real work experience doesn't really count in your favor in the eyes of an admission committee unless you actually did something research-relevant at your job. I'm not sure 'IT work' has anything like that(maybe you can get some experience with programming or electronics), but it seems to be the default option for recent physics graduates who don't go to graduate school.

1. What are my options after completing my undergraduate degree?

After completing your undergraduate degree, you have several options to consider. You can pursue further education by applying for graduate programs, such as a Master's or PhD. You can also look for job opportunities in your field of study or explore internships to gain practical experience.

2. Should I go directly into graduate school or gain work experience first?

This decision ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Some students choose to gain work experience before pursuing higher education, while others prefer to continue their studies immediately. Consider your long-term goals and the requirements for your desired career path to make an informed decision.

3. How important is research experience for graduate school?

Research experience is highly valued by graduate programs, especially for those pursuing a PhD. It demonstrates your ability to think critically, work independently, and contribute to the advancement of your field. However, if you do not have research experience, it is not a deal-breaker as many programs offer opportunities for students to gain research experience during their studies.

4. How do I decide which graduate program is right for me?

Choosing the right graduate program can be a daunting task. Consider your career goals, research interests, and personal strengths when researching programs. Look into the faculty, curriculum, and opportunities for research and practical experience. It may also be helpful to talk to current graduate students or alumni to gain insight into the program.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific career goal before applying to graduate school?

Having a specific career goal is not necessary before applying to graduate school. However, it can be helpful to have a general idea of your interests and goals to choose the right program. Keep in mind that your interests may change during your studies, and it is okay to explore different career paths. Graduate school is a great opportunity to gain knowledge and skills that can be applied to various careers.