Can you solve this tricky number pattern quiz?

• Thread starter Leonidas
  • Start date
In summary, the quiz asked for the next number in a sequence, but didn't provide any information about the sequence itself. The best guess is that it is the number of days in certain months of the year, given that the numbers in the sequence all decrease by 1.
Leonidas
I took this stupid quiz on finding the next number in the pattern, and at the end, it didn't tell me the right answers!

the one that stumped me was: 73, 61, 56. 62, ?

anyone know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
My only guess after skimming at it would be 39...that would fit in the pattern so far...but I don't know if it's right. Every other number subtracts 17, while the other opposite set would add 1 each time...but that's probably wrong.

I think the goal is to find the general term [itex]a_n[/itex] of the sequence.

well just giving you 4 terms doesn't tell you anything about the general form. 39 is as good an answer as any. Obviously you can make the rest of the terms whatever you want. What sort of quiz was this? Silly questions :smile:

As for whether it's part of a well-known sequence of interest, the online integer sequence encyclopedia gives no results.

First it decreases by 12, then 5, then increases by 1. So the change in the increase/decrease goes:
6, 5. My guess is the increase would increase by 4, meaning the next term would be 5 greater, or 67

But there's no obvious pattern involved, because the second and third term are part of a decreasing sequence, but the fourth term is greater than the third

I agree, it doesn't seem like there is enough information. You could always fit a polynomial to the points (1,73),( 2,61), etc, and extend the series that way (which is essentially what you're doing when you look at the difference between the difference between ... between the difference of consecutive terms (see the method of differences used in Babbages' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine" ) ). What is the context of the problem? Give some more examples from this problem set. Should we look at mathematical properties like the prime factorizations or sums of digits, or could it be something like the number of days in certain months of the year?

Last edited by a moderator:
54 ;)

My guess is 0, since it is the only other root of the polynomial

[tex]x(x-73)(x-61)(x-56)(x-62)[/tex]

But seriously, this is silly. Only giving 4 terms is not enough to deduce a pattern. But I think the guess of Vatican Hell is the best you can make...

You're exaggerating! ;)
It wasn't so hard
73: (7-3) x3 ...

Gotta agree with Manu Mop here. Given integer ab, where a,b are part of the counting integers 0 to 9, the next number is ab-((a-b)*b)

73-((7-3)*3)=61
61-((6-1)*1)=56
56-((5-6)*6)=62
62-((6-2)*2)=54

Bit obscure, but it fits...

1. What is the purpose of finding the "Next number in the pattern?"

Finding the next number in a pattern is a way to predict the sequence of numbers based on a given pattern. It is useful in many mathematical and scientific fields, such as statistics, computer science, and physics.

2. How do you identify the pattern in a series of numbers?

To identify a pattern in a series of numbers, you can look for repeated differences between the numbers, common multiples or factors, or geometric progressions. It is also helpful to look at the relationship between each number and its position in the series.

3. Can there be more than one possible "Next number" in a pattern?

Yes, there can be multiple possible next numbers in a pattern, especially if the given numbers do not follow a clear and consistent pattern. In such cases, it is important to consider all possible patterns and use other information or data to determine the most likely next number.

4. Is there a formula or method for finding the "Next number" in a pattern?

There is no one formula or method for finding the next number in a pattern, as it depends on the specific pattern and the given numbers. However, there are some common techniques, such as using algebraic equations, geometric or arithmetic progressions, or visual patterns, that can help in finding the next number.

5. Can finding the "Next number" in a pattern be used for predicting future events or outcomes?

Yes, finding the next number in a pattern can be used for predicting future events or outcomes, but it should be done with caution. The accuracy of the prediction depends on the quality and consistency of the given data and the complexity of the pattern. It is always important to consider other factors and information when making predictions based on a number pattern.