Is a Graduate Degree the Next Step for My Career?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter DomBaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, getting a grad degree may not be worth it if you're not sure what you want to do with your post-graduation years.
DomBaz
I recently graduated with a BS in Physics and a Minor in Mathematics. I worked in factories and warehouses during my summers to earn money so I didn't have any opportunity to intern anywhere and get experience. Up until my senior year I thought I wanted to do research in an academic lab setting but quickly changed my mind once I got firsthand experience in one. I guess my question is whether or not getting a grad degree is worth it? (I am not sure if I should go for an MBA or continue in the field of physics/engineering/computer science)

Physics news on Phys.org
DomBaz said:
I recently graduated with a BS in Physics and a Minor in Mathematics. I worked in factories and warehouses during my summers to earn money so I didn't have any opportunity to intern anywhere and get experience. Up until my senior year I thought I wanted to do research in an academic lab setting but quickly changed my mind once I got firsthand experience in one. I guess my question is whether or not getting a grad degree is worth it? (I am not sure if I should go for an MBA or continue in the field of physics/engineering/computer science)
<<Emphasis added>>

(1) A key question: What turned you off about research in an academic lab setting? The research tasks? The academic lab setting? Both?

(2) Typically you don't go straight from an undergrad degree directly to an MBA program (although it is possible). An MBA program is typically geared for someone who has work experience and wants to advance his career to the next stage: slots for MBAs typically are not entry-level; so an MBA without work experience does not offer much value (there are exceptions). Some major business schools require applicants to have several years work experience. [I'm not an MBA, but I have several family members and friends who are.]

Likes DomBaz
Grad school is a lot of work and it comes with a fairly hefty opportunity cost. If you're not sure about what you want to do, it's probably not a good idea.

Likes plasmon_shmasmon, DomBaz and Locrian
DomBaz said:
Continuing to some advanced degree may possibly mean, you would be able to find research positions in a non-academic laboratory.

Likes DomBaz
CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>>

(1) A key question: What turned you off about research in an academic lab setting? The research tasks? The academic lab setting? Both?

(2) Typically you don't go straight from an undergrad degree directly to an MBA program (although it is possible). An MBA program is typically geared for someone who has work experience and wants to advance his career to the next stage: slots for MBAs typically are not entry-level; so an MBA without work experience does not offer much value (there are exceptions). Some major business schools require applicants to have several years work experience. [I'm not an MBA, but I have several family members and friends who are.]

-> It was mostly the setting, I liked the experiments and procedures and whatnot but the setting just wasn't what I imagined or hoped for I guess. And I did not know about that info on MBA degrees thank you very much for it, it helps immensely.

Choppy said:
Grad school is a lot of work and it comes with a fairly hefty opportunity cost. If you're not sure about what you want to do, it's probably not a good idea.

-> Thank you for the input, I'm currently looking into different options to see if they peak my interest.

Choppy said:

THIS. I would also say that it is better to think about what you want to do (post grad) and then back-track and figure out what degrees, qualifications, etc., you need to get there. Therefore, instead of thinking "do I want a grad degree in field xyz," think "in ten years, do I want to have [insert job] in field xyz."

It's hard to figure out what kind of job/career you might want. Some people have a plan, and I think that's when grad school makes the most sense. But Choppy is right, it's a huge opportunity cost for something that requires a lot of commitment---meaning you will be forgoing a lot of other options while undertaking studies that will require your total attention. Such an undertaking is easier when you are also not second-guessing yourself along the way.

Likes DomBaz and russ_watters
Also - a good company may support the pursuit of the MBA, both financially and with time.

Other skill set - that is valuable but not taught, is project management, likely because it is a skill set. Anyway - getting a P M Certificate over the summer is a good tool, and will show motivation to prospective employers - good PM skill never go to waste.

Likes DomBaz
plasmon_shmasmon said:
THIS. I would also say that it is better to think about what you want to do (post grad) and then back-track and figure out what degrees, qualifications, etc., you need to get there. Therefore, instead of thinking "do I want a grad degree in field xyz," think "in ten years, do I want to have [insert job] in field xyz."

-> Couldn't agree more, I only just realized I was thinking about it all wrong. I've been looking into interesting fields that I might want a career in, rather than grad programs that I could apply to. Thanks for the input!

1. What should I consider when choosing my next career step?

When considering your next career step, it is important to evaluate your interests, skills, and values. Think about what you enjoy doing and what you are good at. Consider what is important to you in a job, such as work-life balance, salary, and job satisfaction. Research different industries and job opportunities to find a good fit for your goals and aspirations.

2. How can I gain relevant experience for my desired career?

There are a few ways to gain relevant experience for your desired career. You can intern or volunteer in your field of interest, take on side projects or freelance work, or participate in professional development courses or workshops. Networking and informational interviews can also help you gain insights and connections in your desired industry.

3. Should I go back to school for a higher degree?

The decision to pursue a higher degree depends on your career goals and the requirements of your desired field. Some careers may require a higher degree for advancement, while others may value work experience more. Consider the cost and time commitment of pursuing a higher degree and weigh it against the potential benefits for your career.

4. How can I stand out in the job market?

To stand out in the job market, it is important to have a strong resume and cover letter that highlight your relevant skills and experiences. Networking and building relationships with professionals in your desired field can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities. Additionally, continuously learning and staying updated on industry trends can make you a more attractive candidate to employers.

5. What resources are available to help me with my career search?

There are many resources available to help with your career search, such as career counseling services, job search websites, and professional organizations. Your university or local library may also offer workshops and resources for career development. Networking with professionals in your desired field can also provide valuable insights and connections for your job search.