1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice and tricky question on electric circuits

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    Hi, this is a very nice but (at least for me) quite confusing problem on electric circuits:

Before you read this, it will be helpful to have had a look at the attached picture (sorry - the quality is quite nasty)

By considering each half of the circuit on the left below as a potential divider, one can show that

Z1/Z2 = Z3/Z4

The bridge circuit on the right of the picture is said to be balanced when the detector D registers no voltage difference between its terminals. Use the above equation to find formulae for R and L in terms of the other components when the circuit is balanced.

OK, so this is what I tried:

Z1= R + XL

Z2 = R2

Z3 = R3

[tex]Z4 = (\frac {1} {R4} + iwC4)^{-1} [/tex]

Equation 1

as derived from Z1/Z2 = Z3/Z4

[tex] R + iwL = R2*R3*(\frac {1} {R4} + iwC4) [/tex]

Equation 2

Now, regard the series connection on the respective sides of the potential divider.

given: U(Z2) = U(Z4) (A)

left hand side:

[tex] U(left) = ( Z1 + Z2)*I = \frac {U(0)} {2} [/tex]

solve for I to calculate

[tex] U (Z2) = \frac {Z(2)*U(0)} {2* (Z3 + Z4)} [/tex]

right hand side:

like lhs

[tex] U(Z4) = \frac {Z(4)*U(i)} {2(Z(1)*Z(2)}[/tex]

So now we put that in eq. (A)

to get:

[tex] R + iwL = R3/R2*(\frac {1} {R4} + iwC4)^{-2} [/tex]

But now I don't know how to solve for L and R as w is not given and I don't know how to deal with those complex numbers to find L and R.

Can anyone help?? That would be absoluetly awesome!!! :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?