1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice easy question about Photons.

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Estimate how many photons of visible light (500 nm) are emitted by a 100 W Bulb.

I get 2.5[itex]\times[/itex]10[itex]^{20}[/itex] Photons/Second

Am I correct?

Thank you.

EDIT: Added units.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Two questions:

(1) Do you mean 2.5*10^20 photons/second?

(2) Does a 100W bulb emit 100W of light energy, or does it use 100W of electrical energy (or both)?

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    (1) yes, sorry. (2) I assume it means 100w of light energy. But what would the answer be if it was electrical?

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It doesn't mean 100W of light energy. An incandescent bulb is only about 4% efficient, and so only puts out about 4W of light energy.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5
    Ok well these are practice questions written by a physics professor. The answer he has written at the bottom of the questions is approximately 10^20 photons/second. I just wanted to know where i had gone wrong if I had. The question is as above and its not something you need to pick apart I was just asking for a little bit of help is all. It does mean 100W of light energy. So am I correct or am I incorrect? The idea is for us to learn and understand the formula.

Substituting in the value of 4W give you 10^18 photons/second which is much further out.

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then please post this in the appropriate section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook