Nice people are boring, but jerks

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, it works the same for both sexes, doormats seem to be attracted to jerks. They want someone to just tell them what to do all the time. Of course, real jerks just use and throw away doormats, so lasting relationships don't happen that way.

But people here are talking as if there is nothing else in between. Being nice doesn't require being a doormat. You can be considerate of others and also assertive of your own wishes. One can be self-confident and forthright without being a jerk. While there are those women who will take on "projects" and try to "fix" men they feel sorry for, most women don't find insecurity in men to be attractive (and often, the jerks are acting that way to hide their insecurities just as much as the doormats are displaying all their insecurities for the world to see).

If you are a man, and you are assertive, it is impossible not to come off as a jerk to someone. It's a human condition.

Though I think it's admirable, I'm not as considerate as most people. I just don't value being cordial as much as others. I have just come to terms with the fact that I'm a jerk :rolleyes: . The women in my life have come to respect that (they don't really have a choice).

I'm very fascinated by the psychological differences in gender and I get a big kick out of the mainstream idea that tends to say there aren't differences for the sake of "equality". :rofl:

Kinda getting off the subject of the post but it does bust into an interesting can of worms.

Last edited:
Lisa!
Gold Member
:confused: Who's a jerk in your opinion?