1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice ques to solve

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    Nice ques to solve !!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let set 'A' have 'n' number of elements and let set 'B' have 'm' number of elements and let their's a defined function f:A→B. Determine the number of possible 'onto' functions that are possible and valid..!!..prove it by mapping of elements from 'A' to 'B'..!!

2. The attempt at a solution

According to my logic there are mP1 + mP2 + mP3 +..... + mPn Permutations..
    is my answer correct....and i could understand that Only if m=n, we will have mPn onto functions. If n<m, none of the functions would be onto...is my statement correct for n>m...and also gimme other logic or methods..!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

Disconnected

Gold Member

Re: Nice ques to solve !!!

To be a little more clear would you be able to write the question word for word as it appears in your homework?

Are you asking "How many surjective functions exist from a domain of m elements to a co-domain of n elements?"? I believe that there is a very handy method that gives this answer with one equation involing a 0 to n summation, have you covered any such equations?

Edit, looking back it seems that you are trying to derive that equation.

Think about the total number of functions. Can you think of a way to find the number of non-surjective functions?

Hint: A non surjective function going to the co-domain B can be discribed as a surjective function going to a smaller co-domain.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook