Finding Point M on Triangle ABC's Circumcircle

• Thread starter Vishalrox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point on the circumcircle of a triangle that meets the condition MA=MB+MC. The solution involves using barycentric coordinates as a function of the side lengths and applying Ptolemy's theorem to a cyclic quadrilateral formed by the sides and diagonals of the triangle. The coordinates of the circumcenter M are also given as (a^2(-a^2 + b^2 + c^2), b^2(a^2 - b^2 + c^2), c^2(a^2 + b^2 - c^2)).
Vishalrox
Nice ques to solve !

Given a triangle ABC find a point M on its circumcircle such that MA=MB+MC...It is easy for an equilateral triangle... I got it... but I couldn't get how to find for any arbitrary triangle...

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hhhmmm...in other words, you have 3 points on a circle and you need to find a 4th one that meets such condition.

I would first find out the angle that the radius makes to each point A,B,C; let's call these angles THA, THB, THC (TH for theta).

Then, let's have a point M and its corresponding THM.

Let's call the center of the circle O.

By taking the center of the circle, the point M and one point (A,B,C) at a time, we have 3 isosceles triangles where the base-lines (chords) of those triangles are those lines you want to match the equation MA=MB+MC. Also, it is true that MA/2 = MB/2 + MC/2.

Those base-lines are chords whose lengths are 2Sin(TH/2), where TH is the angle the two sides make at the center of the circle (radius=1).

For triangle AOM, we have one TH, THAOM = THA - THM

and

THBOM = THB - THM
THCOM = THC - THM

And so, we want:

Sin(THAOM/2) = Sin(THBOM/2) + Sin(THCOM/2)

I think it now gets a bit hairy to isolate THM from here; so, you could simply apply brut force and substitute values between 0 and 2Pi and that's it.

The three sides of the triangle as well as the chords MA, MB and MC will form the sides and diagonals of a cyclic quadrilateral. Now if you apply Ptolemy's theorem to the quadrilateral, you should be able to obtain a condition relating the three sides. With that condition, you should be able to derive an expression for the length of either MA, MB or MC and the position of M can be found with that.

Last edited:

Guys? Help him to the answer. Spoonfeeding is not allowed on PF.

DaveC426913 said:
Guys? Help him to the answer. Spoonfeeding is not allowed on PF.

Oh my apologies, since this wasn't posted in the homework forums, I though he just wanted some form of solution. I'll edit my answer to provide hints instead.

gsal said:
And so, we want:

Sin(THAOM/2) = Sin(THBOM/2) + Sin(THCOM/2)

I think it now gets a bit hairy to isolate THM from here; so, you could simply apply brut force and substitute values between 0 and 2Pi and that's it.

Now we just do THAOM/2=THA/2-THM/2
Expand out the sines using sin(A-B)=sinAcosB-sinBcosA
Pull out the sin(THM/2) to one side and the cos(THM/2) to the other.
Divide for tan(THM/2)

i got it mysely...just say whether its r8...Barycentric coordinates as a function of the side lengths. The circumcenter has trilinear coordinates (cos α, cos β, cos γ) where α, β, γ are the angles of the triangle. The circumcenter M has coordinates:

M = (a^2(-a^2 + b^2 + c^2), b^2(a^2 - b^2 + c^2), c^2(a^2 + b^2 - c^2))

where a, b, c are edge lengths (BC, CA, AB respectively) of the triangle.

and i found the three co-ordinates...now we can find the answer easily...!...is it correct...

What is a Circumcircle?

A circumcircle is a circle that intersects all the vertices of a triangle, making it the smallest circle that can contain the triangle within its circumference.

How do you find the circumcenter of a triangle?

The circumcenter of a triangle is the center of its circumcircle. To find it, you can use the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the triangle's sides. The point where all three bisectors intersect is the circumcenter.

Why is finding point M on the circumcircle important?

Finding point M on the circumcircle allows you to determine the location of the circumcenter, which is a key point in a triangle's geometry. It can also be useful in solving various geometric problems and proofs.

What information do I need to find point M on the circumcircle?

You will need to know the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle (A, B, and C) and the formula for calculating the circumcenter. The formula involves finding the midpoint of each side and the slope of each side.

Can point M be located outside of the triangle?

Yes, point M can be located outside of the triangle. In fact, the circumcenter can be located anywhere along the perpendicular bisector of a side. However, it will always lie on the circumcircle of the triangle.