1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice question on single slits

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

this is a really nice question on single slids. I can do part a), since the Intensity is proportional to [f(x)]^2.

However, I am completely stuck on part b. If the wave alters in x direction (not uniform) I don't understand how I am supposed to calculate the resulting Intensities in y direction on the path of the dog. Am I supposed to build the time average on each point? If anyone could give me a hint that would be amazing. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 28, 2006 #3
    Thank you - I already solved the problem (it was actually quite easy) - I had been confused, since I thought that direction x (in the intensity pattern) was perpendicular to y (the direction in which the dog walks), but apparently it is the same, which makes the problem quite easy to handle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?