Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nice Short Problem

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    Nice AP Phyiscs prob.
    If V (elec. potential) equals a constant throughout a given region of space, what can u say about E (Elec. field strength) in that region?

I think its also constant ;) .....but i was woderin if i was right

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes the electric field is constant - but a very special one! Hint: How do potential and electric field relate to each other? :-)

4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    Is it some type of direct variation?........

I have something in my notes (a mess lol) where the V vs r and E vs r graphs are related.......E at a certain point is the slope of the V vs r graph at that point.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  5. Sep 20, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The difference between potential at two points is also the work done by a force moving an object from one point to the other. If the potential is a constant what is the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other?

6. Sep 21, 2004 #5
    If the potential is a constant the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other would be 0. B/c no work is done and then there would be a potential difference. In this instance I not sure how u would NOT do work if u had a force involved.

7. Sep 21, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Exactly! Therefore the force MUST be ___.

8. Sep 21, 2004 #7
    zero........I figure E=0.....b/c dV=Edr

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook