1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice Short Problem

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    Nice AP Phyiscs prob.
    If V (elec. potential) equals a constant throughout a given region of space, what can u say about E (Elec. field strength) in that region?

I think its also constant ;) .....but i was woderin if i was right

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes the electric field is constant - but a very special one! Hint: How do potential and electric field relate to each other? :-)

4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    Is it some type of direct variation?........

I have something in my notes (a mess lol) where the V vs r and E vs r graphs are related.......E at a certain point is the slope of the V vs r graph at that point.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  5. Sep 20, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The difference between potential at two points is also the work done by a force moving an object from one point to the other. If the potential is a constant what is the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other?

6. Sep 21, 2004 #5
    If the potential is a constant the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other would be 0. B/c no work is done and then there would be a potential difference. In this instance I not sure how u would NOT do work if u had a force involved.

7. Sep 21, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly! Therefore the force MUST be ___.

8. Sep 21, 2004 #7
    zero........I figure E=0.....b/c dV=Edr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?